Presentation on course arrangements available will be available here.
Responsible teachers and lecturers: Roope Vehkalahti & olav Tirkkonen
Tutorials and homework: Mohsen Amidzadeh, Olav Tirkkonen
Credits: 5 ECTS
Teaching Periods: I-II (autumn)
F2F Teaching: from September 10 to December 5; 2 sessions per week
- Lecture Tue 12-14
- Tutorial excercises Wed 12-14. Course assistant teaches students in solving weekly exercises. In this context, course assistant helps students with different backgrounds to equalize background knowledge. Some will be based on matlab, and arranged in computer class.
Workload: 24 + 24 (2 + 2)
- Lectures/F2F: 24 h
- Tutorials/F2F: 24 h
- Self-study: 85 h
- Exam: 3 h
Learning objectives: After the course the student
- Understands the functionalities of the physical layer in a modern communication system in multipath fading channels
- Understands principles of multiantenna and multiuser communication
- Understand principles of link adaptation
- Can operate a link simulator
Content: Characteristics of wireless channels, path loss, fading, multipath propagation. Statistical models of wirelss channels. Equalization. Performance analysis in fading channels. The role of channel state information. Channel capacity. Adaptive modulation and coding. Diversity. Multianntenna and space-time communication. Multiuser communication.
Course fulfillment and grading: Exam, homework and participation in tutorial exercises contribute towards the grade.
- Slides & tutorial solutions distributed in MyCourses.
- Textbook A. Goldsmith: "Wireless Communication", available as e-copy at https://aalto.finna.fi/Record/vaari.1619470. Click "Show all details". Then "Show full text or availability in other libraries". Then click the first "Go" link, immediately after " Full text available via Knovel Electronics & Semiconductors Academic". Aalto account needed.
- Working knowledge of digital communication in AWGN, e.g., ELEC-C7230.
- Working knowledge of matlab
- Working knowledge of basic linear algebra
Language of instruction: English.