Note: The course starts on Monday 9h September 2019 at 12:15 in Lecture Room AS4 (1023-1024), Maarintie 8!
Students will develop factual knowledge and understanding of the 5G core network, the Evolved Packet System (EPS) architecture, its components and its protocols. They will also understand the migration scenarios from 2G/3G to 4G and 5G. The students will become also familiar with the latest developments in the area of Network Function Virtualization, Software Defined Networking, Network Slicing, and Network Softwarization. Furthermore, the students will learn about the evolved radio access networks (RANs). They will also carry out some basic hands-on simulation assignments to deepen their understanding of the RAN design and its performance aspects. Moreover, the students will be allocated a selective set of research papers that will help them develop their technical writing and research skills, as well as, gaining some experience in presenting their findings to peers.
The course covers key system level technical issues involved in the design and deployment of the 5G core network and the EPS, in a stepwise progressive fashion. The course also covers aspects relevant to carrier grade virtual mobile core networks, as an important vision of 5G. Furthermore, the course will introduce some of the key recent RAN technology developments including LTE, LTE-Advanced and LTE-Advanced Pro, as well as, the newly specified 5G New Radio (NR) standards. To that end, where appropriate, the course provides an overview on relevant standards and exposes students to some relevant research papers and standards documents (mostly from the Third Generation Partnership Project).
- In-class exercises (30% of course grade)
- Assignment (30% of course grade)
- Examination (40% of course grade)
- Lecture 1: Mon 09.09.19 12:15 - 14:00 Room AS4 (1023-1024)
- Lecture 2: Fri 13.09.19 12:15-14:00 Room AS3 (1021-1022)
- Lecture 3: Mon 16.09.19 12:15 - 14:00 Room AS4 (1023-1024)
- Lecture 4: Mon 30.09.19 10:15 - 12:00 Room U256, Otakaari 1
- Lecture 5: Mon 30.09.19 12:15 - 14:00 Room U256, Otakaari 1
- Lecture 6: Mon 07.10.19 12:15 - 14:00 Room U256, Otakaari 1
- Assignment - Scientific paper presentation day 1: Monday 14.10.2019 , 12:00 - 14:00, R030/C105 T2 (T-Building)
- Assignment - Scientific paper presentation day 2: Wednesday 16.10.2019, 14:00 - 16:00, R037/1171-72 TU3 Wärtsilä (TUAS building)
- Examination: Tue 22.10.2019 09:00-12:00 Room AS1 1018
- Repeat Examination: Wed. 18.12.2019 09:00-12:00 Room R037/1200-1201 TU7
Each student should have the background in Wireless Systems.
For inquiries for further information on the course please contact any of the following course teachers:
- Tarik Taleb <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Edward Mutafungwa <email@example.com>,