The goal of this course is to teach about basic algebraic structures and their properties. In particular, the following topics will be covered:
- groups and subgroups
- group homomorphisms and isomorphisms
- rings and ideals
- ring homomorphisms and isomorphisms
In this course, an emphasis is placed on proofs. After the course, the student should be able to master and use different proof techniques.
2019-20 Period III (6 weeks)
- Lectures: Tuesdays and Thursdays 10:15-12:00 in Y313
- Exercises (choose one group):
- Wednesdays 10:15-12:00 in Y347 (Miika Leinonen)
- Fridays 14:15-16:00 in Y229a (Muhammad Ardiyansyah)
50% exam + 50% homework solutions (5 best homework grades out of 6 are taken into account)
The exam will be held on 20.02 during 9-12. Students are not allowed to take any notes, books or other reference material to the exam.
There are weekly problem sets posted under "Assignments" in MyCourses. Solutions can be uploaded to MyCourses or returned on Tuesdays before the lecture.
- Metsänkylä-Näätänen, Algebra (Chapters III-VI.2): https://matematiikkalehtisolmu.fi/2010/algebra.pdf (in Finnish)
- Clive Reis, Stuart A. Rankin "Abstract Algebra: Introduction to Groups, Rings and Fields with Applications" (Chapters 5, 6 and 8)