Jukka Kohonen, jukka.kohonen(at)aalto.fi
on Wednesdays and Thursdays 11.9., 12.9., 18.9., 19.9., 25.9., 26.10., 2.10., 3.10., 27.11. and 28.11. at 16.15-18.00 (U1/U154, Otakaari 1).
See lecture slides in the "Materials" section here!
Paavo Raittinen, paavo.raittinen(at)aalto.fi
- Group 1 on Wednesdays 9.10., 16.10., 30.10., 6.11. and 13.11. at 16.15-18.00 (U351, Otakaari 1, 40 computers)
- Group 2 on Thursdays 10.10., 17.10., 31.10., 7.11. and 14.11. at 16.15-18.00 (U344, Otakaari 1, 30 computers)
About the course:
- This course is an introduction to experimental and statistical methods in biological sciences.
- The goal is to learn the basics of common simple data analysis techniques and to use the methods in practice.
- Free software R is used in the exercises of this course, and free R studio as the user interface for R.
- The topics of the course include population and sample, descriptive statistics, visualization, statistical testing, ANOVA, dependence, linear regression and logistic regression.
How to pass the course:
- Attend the lectures and be active - not compulsory, no points, but highly recommended.
- Submit your first four homework assignments on time --- THIS IS COMPULSORY --- max 6 points. (Homework problems will be given below, under the "assignments" folder.)
- Take the exam - max 24 points. (Note that if you have not submitted your homework assignments on time, you will automatically get 0 points from the exam.)
- Participate to the exercises - not compulsory, but highly recommended. Homework problems are reasonably easy to solve, if you have attended the exercise sessions, but can otherwise be quite challenging.
- Optionally read three articles (will be given on the course page) and write a short reflection to get 1 extra point.
- Max total points = 24 + 6 + 1 = 31. You need at least 15 points to pass the course.
The course exam is held at 16.30-19.30 on 10.12.2019. Note that the course registration automatically includes registration for the course examination.
Instructions regarding the exam:
equipment: Writing equipment, an A4-sized note (hand-written, text only
on one side, own name in the upper right corner, no need to return)
- The exercise points are valid in all exams during the academic year 2019-2020