A multidisciplinary consumer product development course – open for all Aalto students.
The course will combine two different courses to work together:
- TU-C3030 - Basics in Research and Development (R&D) Management (this course)
- CHEM-CV - Chemical product design
In the course, you will work as part of a product development team, developing a new consumer product for a Finnish cosmetics company. Each of the teams will act as a product development unit, taking a product of their choice from initial user and market research to production readiness.
In the course you learn how to run and manage research and development efforts and how to unlock the potential of diverse, multidisciplinary teams.
The course will offer three different learning tracks:
R&D project management
- In this track, you will learn about managing the R&D project, planning product and production cost, pricing and profitability, product logistics, and sales channels.
- In this track, you will learn about product design and packaging, marketing and advertising, brand management and store display.
Chemical product development
- In this track, you will learn about chemical product design, product sustainability, chemical manufacturing processes and product testing.
Each team member will choose a role related to one of the tracks for the course and then focus on those aspects of the product development process throughout the course. We expect that you are studying or have studied one or more topics related to your chosen track.
After the course, you can act as a R&D team member or project manager.
Aalto CHEM students should register for the course CHEM-CV in Oodi
Students from other schools please register for TU-C3030 in Oodi
In the spring 2020, there will only be a 5 ECTS version offered of this course.
Course schedule (dates fixed, content tbc).
Lectures will be held 15:00 - 18:00.
|14.1.2020||Intro & team formation, product development process|
|21.1.2020||Team formation, Ideation outcomes|
|4.2.2020||Gate 1 - Final idea presentation|
|11.2.2020||Chemical risks & regulations, raw material orders to supplier|
|25.2.2020||From pilot to production in cosmetics industry - Lauri
|Chem students||Tuta students|
|10.3.2020||Work in expert teams (via Zoom)||Product pricing, cost structure, sales channels, logistics (via Zoom)|
For more information, contact
Kähkönen Elina <email@example.com>
Mitts Håkan <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Rekonen Satu <email@example.com>
Lauri Saarinen <firstname.lastname@example.org>