Setting up and testing your Zoom setup.
For online courses, we will use Zoom (at least until it starts to show capacity issues, stay tuned for information on alternative tools).
To use Zoom as a students, please do the following:
- Go to https://aalto.zoom.us/ and create a Zoom account using your Aalto email. If you already have a Zoom with your Aalto email, you can reconfigure it to become an "Aalto account" on the same page. Logging in is not normally needed but we might require login for certain sessions so it can be useful to have.
- The are a lot of options to run Zoom, Check out the options at Zoom dowload center: https://zoom.us/download
I have setup a test meeting (running all day March 16), use this meeting to test your setup: https://aalto.zoom.us/j/353516736
When using Zoom in class, make sure you use your full name and not some alias. Also add your team number after your name so that we can easily create breakout sessions for team etc.
Good practices to minimize network traffic:
- If you are just a participant, disable video. If you want to talk and use video, you can enable video for the time that you talk.
- When not talking,mute your microphone.
- Use earphones or headset when using Zoom, if you use phone/computer speakers and built-in mictophone, you will get very bad sound quality and also potentially disturb others.
-If you want to ask a question or comment (both very welcome) use the "Raise" hand and only unmute your microphone when the person hosting the meeting has told you to go ahead. Meeting hosts can unmute participants in which case you cannot control your microphone yourself.