NOTE! You will need an own laptop on which Linux will be installed (in case it has not been installed already) on the first exercise session.
- An unofficial course book is here: http://l.github.io/debian-handbook/html/en-US/
- You can download a cheat sheet at the Materials page
- The assignments will be published during the course at the Assignments page
In case you need to ask about course practicalities (such as Oodi registrations etc.), please email to email@example.com.
Please post questions related to the contents of the course either in the MyCourses discussions, on IRC #linuxkurssi @ IRCnet, or ask at the exercise sessions.
Requirements for the practical usage test of Linux Basics course:
- Using commands and their parameters that are in the Linux command cheat sheet provided in Materials. The cheat sheet and man pages are available during the final practical test.
- Usage of a text editor (e.g., Nano, Vim)
- Knowledge of Linux directory structure (having an idea what is where) and moving around in directories (proc, etc, home)
- Installing and removing software through package management (Debian apt), resolving dependencies
- Starting and stopping services
- System logs: What logs are available, where are they and how are they used for checking the system and troubleshooting
- Configuring network settings and using basic network diagnostics (ping, traceroute, traffic capture)
- SSH: remote connections, file transfer, tunneling, public key authentication
- Basic usage of Screen and IRC
- Using programming tools, git (e.g., searching program code, changing a specific line of a simple program while following instructions, compilation and testing the result. Commiting code to a local repository.)