MS-E1999 Combinatorial Network Analysis
- Period III: 8 January - 20 February 2020
- Lecturer: Vanni Noferini, M307, vanni dot noferini at aalto dot fi
- Head assistant: Giovanni barbarino, giovanni dot barbarino at aalto dot fi
- Registration at WebOodi
- Content: review of basic graph theory, spectral theory for adjacency matrix and graph Laplacian, centrality measures, deformed graph Laplacian, spectral clustering.
- Week 1. Introduction. Review of basic graph theory.
- Week 2. Algebraic graph theory: spectral theory the adjacency matrix and the graph Laplacian.
- Week 3. Introduction to walk-based centrality measures. Katz centrality.
- Week 4. Non-backtracking walks. Deformed graph Laplacian and its spectrum.
- Week 5. Non-backtracking centrality measures and deformed graph Laplacian. Introduction to clustering.
- Week 6. Spectral techniques for clustering.
Recommended books and articles for further reading
Important: note that, as it often happens in graph theory, notations, terminology, and definitions may slightly differ from the lecture notes. In the exam, it will be tacitly agreed that notations, terminology, and definitions are as in the lecture notes.
- U. Brandes, T. Erlebach (editors), Network analysis -- Methodological foundations, Springer
- E. Estrada, P. Knight, A first course in network theory, Oxford University Press