There are weekly problem sets, posted below.
Course grade will be based on the exercises. Students are encouraged to write the solutions to the exercises including as much detail as possible and making sure that each step is clearly justified. Students submit their solutions as a single PDF file to the corresponding assignment folder. Photos of hand-written solutions must be converted to PDF file, the assignment folder accepts only a single PDF file.
Exercise sessions are held on Fridays 14-16 (via Slack). These sessions are text-based online chats where the students and the TA can discuss the exercises or the topics studied during the week. Hints for exercises can be given, however, the students are encouraged to work by themselves.
The teaching assistant Armando W. Gutiérrez will be in charge of the exercises.
Course grading and honor code
The written solutions to the weekly problem sets are graded, and course grades are primarily based on the total score of these (6 problems in each of the 6 problem sets).
Each exercise is worth 3 points i.e. the students can get at most 18 points for each weekly problem set.
As the grading is thus based on course work, let us adopt the following honor code to clarify to which extent the course work must be independent, and to which extent collaboration is allowed:
- You may discuss problems with others (incl. TA), but everyone must write their own solutions independently.
- A conference call in the end of
the course (tentatively 28.-29.5.) is arranged, where you may
be asked to explain selected solutions submitted during the course.
UPDATE 21.5.2020: It is clear that the honor code has been respected, so there is no need to organize the conference calls.
Problem set timetable
- Problem set 1 due by Tuesday, April 21, at 10:00am (turn in solutions below)
- Problem set 2 due by Tuesday, April 28, at 10:00am (turn in solutions below)
- Problem set 3 due by Tuesday, May 5, at 10:00am (turn in solutions below)
- Problem set 4 due by Tuesday, May 12, at 10:00am (turn in solutions below)
- Problem set 5 due by Tuesday, May 19, at 10:00am (turn in solutions below)
- Problem set 6 due by Tuesday, May 26, at 10:00am (turn in solutions below)