How do I plan my career? What kind of support is available to doctoral students?
this course we will discuss and
hear expert views on doctoral studies, services available, career
planning, financing, research ethics etc.
Currently this course is arranged twice a year.
Teachers in Charge: prof Ari Sihvola and prof Vesa Välimäki
Course Coordinators: Emma Holmlund, firstname.lastname@example.org and Antti Ojapelto, email@example.com
Various visiting lecturers
In order to pass the course, you need to meet these requirements:
Active Participation in the Orientation
- You need to either take part in the orientation program for all Aalto University doctoral candidates and write a reflective essay on it, or
- Do the assignment Assignment for 3 cr or substituting orientation. If you missed the orientation and want three credits, you need to do the assignment twice, with different topics.
Active Participation in Seminars
- You need to either attend all contact sessions, or attend at least half of the time and substitute the rest with extra assignments Missing a Session.
- Reflective Writing, dl 23.8.2020
- Practical Tips, Reflective Essay, dl 23.8.2020
- Writing Assignment, Part I, dl 23.8.2020
- Orientation Reflective Essay, dl 2.9.2020 (if you attended the orientation)
- Ethics Group Work, dl 2.9.2020
- Career Assignment, dl 2.9.2020
- Writing Assignment, Part II, dl 20.9.2020
- Final Reflection Essay, dl 1.10.2020
- Assignment for 3 cr or substituting orientation (Do this, if you want 3 credit points or if you missed the orientation), dl 1.10.2020
Admission and RegistrationThis
course is for doctoral students of Aalto University School of
Electrical Engineering. We are sorry we can't take any M.Sc. or B.Sc. students. If you have begun your work towards doctor's degree and filed the application to become a doctoral student in Aalto ELEC, please contact the course coordinators.
In order to apply to the course:
- Register in WebOodi and submit your Preliminary Assignment In MyCourses
- Please be present in time at the beginning of Seminar 1
doctoral students of ELEC that have started their doctoral studies
after August 1, 2015, since this course is compulsory for them
- Other doctoral students of ELEC, we prefer students who are at early stages in their doctoral studies.