1. The Zoom links for the exercise sessions are shown on the table below. Assignment sheets for the exercises can be found at the bottom of this page.
Group Link Assistant H01 https://aalto.zoom.us/j/62593839822 Paavo Raittinen H02 https://aalto.zoom.us/j/65027961657 Paavo Raittinen H03 https://aalto.zoom.us/j/68590178524 Eero Saariniemi H04 https://aalto.zoom.us/j/63012514723 Henri Simola H05 https://aalto.zoom.us/j/65302543590 Eero Saariniemi H06 https://aalto.zoom.us/j/63012514723 Henri Simola H07 https://aalto.zoom.us/j/61550496443 Anton Saukkonen H08 https://aalto.zoom.us/j/66833397295 Rasmus Pekkarinen H09 https://aalto.zoom.us/j/65853936479 Anton Saukkonen H10 https://aalto.zoom.us/j/64595744368 Rasmus Pekkarinen
The course grade (0-5) is determined based on the total of exam points (0-24) and exercise points (0-6),
- Total points = exam points + exercise points.
- 15 total points <-> grade 1
- 16 total points <-> grade 2
- 19 total points <-> grade 3
- 22 total points <-> grade 4
- 25 total points <-> grade 5
Additionally, grade 1 is also awarded to those who get 12 points from the exam alone.Note, especially, that the highest grade (5) can not be obtained without any exercise points. The reason for this is that learning to use R, and learning to conduct statistical analysis in practice are essential learning goals of the course.
The exercise points are valid in all exams organized during the year 2021.If you miss some exercise session (e.g. the first week because of travels), please study the problems on your own. You can still continue the course.If you cannot register to any session (because they are full), please come to a suitable session anyway. At least in the beginning, we allow students to visit different exercise groups. We will find out if we can create more groups.
You may take with you in the exam your writing equipment and one A4 of hand-written notes. The rules for the note are: size A4, text on one side only, must be hand-written, your name is written on the top right corner of the note.
There are several exercise groups in the course. Please attend one of them weekly and arrive in time in order to get exercise points from the homework.
Special news for 2021 spring course: the homework marks are checked at the beginning of each Zoom exercise session with attendance list which is filled at the beginning of each exercise session using MyCourses attendance box. One student is then randomly selected to present their work. The presentation can be R code, powerpoint show, whiteboard drawing, photograph of your hand-written solutions, latex, word, live drawing with paint - which ever you prefer as long as you are confident to give a short explanation of your work (we strongly encourage you to make and present your homework solution with / as R code). Please remember that your solution does not need to be correct - an attempt is enough - and that the assistant is there for you to complement and help to communicate your work if needed
You can find the group times and locations in WebOodi.
Assistant emails are of the form firstname.lastname@example.org.
The course exercises consist of two kinds of problems, homework problems and class problems.
- Homework problems: the first problem(s) of each week's exercise sheet is a homework problem which must be completed before that week's exercise session. Bring your solution to the homework problems with you to the exercise sessions (exception: first week's exercise). In the beginning of the exercise session, the course assistant will randomly ask some people who have solved the homework problem to present their solutions to everyone.
- Class problems: the remaining problems of each week's exercise sheet are class problems that will be solved together in the exercise sessions.
Additionally, some of the homework and class problems are optional. And although no points will be awarded from them, you are still heavily encouraged to go them through.Exercise points will be awarded from the sessions as follows:
- 1/2 exercise points, if you actively attend the exercise session and had completed the week's homework problem.
- 1/4 exercise points, if you actively attend the exercise session but had not completed the week's homework problem.
If none of the exercise group times is suitable for you but you would still like to get the exercise points, contact the head assistant (Paavo Raittinen) by e-mail. Note that you need an extremely good reason for getting the points without attendance!
3. Assignment sheets: