Design Research: Fields and Practices
This course will run in 2022.
This course is delivered in three parts (2 ECTS each). You may take each part separately. In 2021, all of it will take place online.
- Part I (Winter School): Mon 21 - Fri 25 February.
- Part II (Introduction to Design Research): 4-5 weekly meetups for 3 hrs each March-April
- Part III (Summer School): Mon 23 - 27 May
- Part I focuses on positioning your doctoral research. It explores the field of Design Research, mapping its origins, genealogies, geographies, specialisms and relationships to other disciplines. It also explores questions of disciplinarity. Through is, seminars, lectures, presen tations and discussions, you will develop a situated and reflexive understanding of your own and others' research. You have the opportunity to undertaken extension work (1 ECTS) stemming from this Part I.
- Part II explores what constitutes a doctorate at Aalto University. In particular, you will critically analyse a range of past dissertations, paying attention to structure, method and presentation. Authors of these past dissertations will join discussions.
- Part III is directed towards exploring academic and professional practices of Design Research. It critically explores and reviews various applications of Design Research with an emphasis on career development. You have the opportunity to undertaken extension work (1 ECTS) stemming from this Part III.