The Service Design for Interior Architects
course (5 cr) provides an introduction to service design methods in the context of
spatial design and interior architecture. We study the reciprocal relationship
between space and services, learn basic service design methods and rehearse the
application of the methods in interior architecture. The course has two elements: theory and
method part that builds the knowledge base through lectures, reading
tasks and weekly assignments, and design part where the methods are
applied into a design project. The course is suitable to master's students from any area of
design or architecture. However, 3D modelling skills and at least basic spatial design skills are required.
- Introduction to service design
- Designing spatial and service systems
- Data driven spatial design
- Spatial and service concepts
THE DESIGN PROJECT IN 2020
The design project will be announced in the beginning of the course.
- Workload: 30 h contact teaching + 105 h independent and group work
- The course starts on Fri 11th September and ends on Fri 16th October, 2020.
- Teaching hours are Fridays between 9:15–15 (not
always the whole day).
- Teaching takes place remotely via Zoom (https://www.aalto.fi/en/services/zoom-quick-guide).
- The course may also include some fieldwork in smaller groups.
- The students should have access to computer with webcam and design software.
- The detailed schedule can be found in MyCourses by the course start.
Teacher in charge
Antti Pirinen, University Lecturer, Spatial and Service Design
Aalto University, ARTS, Dept. of Architecture