Welcome to the Traffic Flow Theory course!
The course belongs to the elective courses of the Master's Program in Spatial Planning and Transportation Engineering.
The course is intended for Master's and PhD students and it is offered in English.
After successful completion of the course, a student is able to:
- Describe the main characteristics of traffic flow
- Represent traffic phenomena using different methods and tools
- Recognise how traffic congestion starts and propagates
- Select and apply appropriate methods and techniques for analysing traffic-related problems
- Interpret and elaborate different type of traffic data
The course contents include:
- Introduction to Traffic Flow Theory
- The time-space diagram
- Fundamental variables and cumulative plots
- Dynamic microscopic model
- Fundamental diagram
- Shockwave theory
- Dynamic macroscopic models
- Highway capacity
- Macroscopic Fundamental Diagram (or Network Fundamental Diagram)
- Pedestrian flow theory
- Future of traffic flow theory
News regarding the course will be posted here in myCourses, within the Announcements Forum. Please, make sure you receive notifications when new messages are posted.
All the sessions of this course will take place online. Although this is not a requirement, you are more than welcome to share your video when talking and participating to activities and discussions. This will be surely appreciated by your colleagues as it helps improving human connections in these challenging times.