The course provides a holistic view of the new technologies that are powerfully reshaping and redefining the financial industry.
Financial markets are facing new challenges and new opportunities stemming from
- digitalization and new technologies: fintech, blockchain and cryptocurrencies, high-frequency trading, big data and data analytics, machine learning and artificial intelligence, cybersecurity;
- new regulations: regulation to open the financial markets for competition, to ease investments, and to stabilize financial markets;
- rapidly changing global landscape: Fintech startups and large tech companies are challenging traditional banks and financial institutions.
The aim of the course is that the students would get both an idea of the multiple possibilities of the new technologies and a basic understanding of some of these technologies.
The course consists of lectures and assignments. The online lectures will be given during period II on Wednesdays from 14.15-16.00. The lectures are not compulsory, this course can be studied individually. The deadline for all the assignments is 15.1.2021.
Basically, 1 or 3 credits available. On top of this, 2-3 credits additional credits can be earned by doing individual assignments related to machine learning in finance. Please, register here which version you want to pick. You can change your choice later.
Lecturer Ruth Kaila
Schedule, II period 2020
Remote live lectures via zoom: Wednesdays at 14.15-16.00 (no recording)
- Different areas of Fintech
- Different cryptocurencies
- Related technologies
11.11. High-frequency trading
18.11. Artificial intelligence
- Machine Learning in finance
- Natural Language Processing in finance
- Cyber security in general; lecture by Major Jussi Tuovinen Finnish Defence Forces
- Cyber security in finance
2.12. Quantum computing in finance
- Very basics of quantum computers
- Possible applications in the financial sector
Please feel free to ask more information on the course, ruth.kailaATaalto.fi.
Ruth and Eljas