Please download take_home_exam.zip that includes mandatory articles and take home exam guidelines!
1. Idea: You prepare an individual statement on a scientific and a practitioner article.
2. Format: Word or pdf; font Arial 12; line spacing 1,3. Maximum of 1200 words plus a separate reference list if needed. Other appendices will not be graded. No exceptions will be made concerning the format, i.e., only content provided within the defined word count will be graded.
3. Timeline: Instructions for the Take Home Exam and the respective articles will be uploaded on the MyCourses platform by Monday, Feb. 15th 2016, 06.00 pm Finnish time. Please pay special attention to the guiding questions which should be addressed in your statement. Hand in your statement by March 7th 2016, 06.00 pm (CET) to email@example.com. No exceptions will be made concerning the deadline, i.e., delayed submissions will be graded with zero points.
4. Material: You are free to use any material for preparing your statement. References should be cited properly according to the APA citation format.
5. Grading: Statements will be graded on a scale from 0 to 30 points. Carefully consider the guiding questions when preparing your answers. Try tackle the essence of the question and pay attention to signal words used in the question (e.g., describe, depict, discuss, explain etc.) Precisely define the concepts you are referring to in your answer. Build a logical flow of argumentation in order to develop a convincing storyline. You may use examples to illustrate and support your line of reasoning. Try to provide some rationale for suggestions or evaluations that you may give.
6. Scientific article (20 points): Hsee, Christopher, Yang Yang, and Bowen Ruan (2015), "The Mere-Reaction Effect: Even Nonpositive and Noninformative Reactions Can Reinforce Actions,” Journal of Consumer Research, 42 (3), 420-434. Guiding questions: a. What is the Mere-Reaction Effect? Please explain this effect in your own words. (8 points) b. What are two potential implications for Service Management that can be derived based on this effect? (12 points)
7. Practitioner article (10 points): Kolko, Jon (2015), "Design Thinking Comes of Age,” Harvard Business Review, 93 (9), 66-71. Guiding question: c. To what extent can service companies build on the design thinking concept to improve their offerings? Please explain. (10 points)