attend min 80% (min 14 sessions, 17.3.2016 is mandatory). Attendance and active participation is appreciated 50p/100
submit a group case study assignment and present it: Evaluated as 50p/100
optional individual/group assignment: IP Strategy for your own company 20p/100 (extra points)
Assignments (Aalto students)
1) Group assignments (50p/100) : evaluation as a group (individual input needs to be explained)
a. Written submission
Students are supposed to present their case study findings during the case study sessions and need to submit a written out-of-class group assignment (20 pages maximum) by 29.4.2016. 17.00
Select a live company with IPR dispute in a high profile litigation case
- Identify IPR rights /type of the company, industry and the dispute
- Study IPR acquisition/ licensing/enforcement/litigation strategies of the company
- Analyse the case (law/business) from IP strategy perspective: was there strategic mistakes? Was the litigation a part of their IPR strategy? Economic outcome?
- One aspect of strategy is to have a position on company on certain IP issues.
- Conclude the case by discussing what the case tells you about IPR strategy of the company and IPR strategy in general: what went wrong, lessons learned.
b. Oral presentation
2) Only Aalto students have this option. Individual/Group Extra Assignment: IP Strategy
Aalto students have an option to write an IP strategy for his/her own company (this is an additional individual or group task providing extra points).
Teaching materials and references
When possible, the lecture slides will be made available after the lecture on the course website.
Additional references will be distributed throughout the course, so please check regularly the course website. In case the material is locked, the password is at 'Results' page. Articles provided as references and they are designed to help you understand the topic.