Assignment: Thematic package 3
Case study – report: (10 %, 0-10 points)
The module also features case teaching. The case study the participants are asked to analyze is: HEMA IN CHINA: IS ALIBABA AHEAD OF AMAZON IN RETAILING? Case studies give you a practical arena or context to apply what you have learned into a real-life situation. We will follow the Harvard Business School case study method, which is described as follows:
[The] case method is a profound educational innovation that presents the greatest challenges confronting leading companies, nonprofits, and government organizations—complete with the constraints and incomplete information found in real business issues—and places the student in the role of the decision maker. There are no simple solutions; yet through the dynamic process of exchanging perspectives, countering and defending points, and building on each other's ide-as, students become adept at analyzing issues, exercising judgment, and making difficult decisions—the hallmarks of skillful leadership. [...]
Preparation is key for a good study experience. For you to get the most out of a case session, you need to read through and reflect on the case material. It is highly encouraged to share ideas and re-flections with your fellow course participants before class. Within the classroom, you will be given an opportunity to argue your position and get feedback on your thinking by listening to other participants’ ideas. The course covers one case entitled “.”
Participants are asked to answer the following four questions when analyzing the case study:
- How would you define Hema/Amazon Go’s digital strategies? (2 p)
- What are the key differentiators (value propositions) of Hema and Amazon Go? Do they differ a lot from traditional grocery retail? (3 p)
- What are the success factors in traditional and in the new retail grocery? (2,5 p)
- Provide examples of how prospective analytics is helping Amazon and Alibaba improve their services? (2,5 p)
1. Answer the four case study questions in a max. three page word document. In addition to that, you may use tables or charts, but they are not required.
2. The task is designed as an individual work.
3. Grading of the case study report will be based on a scale from 0-10 points. The grading follows the general grading instructions given under heading “3. General instructions for the assignments”.
Alibaba's Hema grocery stores are changing retail, CNBC Reports: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDIvWdwVZM
How Alibaba Got Consumers to Love Grocery Shopping: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEbYNJZ9iJ4
Introducing Amazon Go and the world's most advanced shopping technology: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrmMk1Myrxc
- 21. kesäkuutata 2022, 13.54