MON 5.11. Scaling design thinking in global organizations
LEARNING OBJECTIVE OF THIS WEBINAR:
Lear how to scale up and managem design thinking in geographically dispersed organization
1. READ ARTICLE: Varlender et al. 2016. Enacting a constellation of logics.
2. LISTEN STANFORD eCORNER PODCAST: The customers made us scale it
3. READ CASE: SAP Design Thinking
Read and listen the study material and analyze the case. Come prepared to discuss the following questions:
- Why was scaling the culture and practices of design thinking difficult in SAP’s geographically distributed organization?
- How to overcome these difficulties?
FURTHER READINGS ON DESIGN MANAGEMENT
Chiva, R., & Alegre, J. 2009. Investment in design and firm performance: The mediating role of design management. Journal of Product Innovation Management, 26: 424–440.
George, G., & Bock, A. J. 2011. The business model in practice and its implications for entrepreneurship research. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 35: 83–111.
Gruber, M., de Leon, N., George, G. & Thompson, P. (2015) Managing by design. Academy of Management Journal, 58(1):1-7.
Hargadon, A., & Sutton, R. I. 1997. Technology brokering and innovation in a product development firm. Administrative Science Quarterly, 42: 716–749.
Moultrie, J., & Livesey, F. 2014. Measuring design investment in firms: Conceptual foundations and exploratory UK survey. Research Policy, 43: 570–587.
Ravasi, D. & Stigliani, I. (2012) Product design: a review and research agenda for management studies. International Journal of Management Reviews, 14, 464–488