THU 8.11. Leading change
LEARNING OBJECTIVES OF THIS WEBINAR:
Learn how to drive change in organizations
Learn how to adapt quickly to continuous environmental change
Understand why change initiatives may fail
1. READ ARTICLE: Kotter, Leading change – why transformation efforts fail.
2. READ CASE: Leading change at Simmons
Read the attached article and analyze the case with your study partner. Come prepared to discuss the following questions:
- Why individuals and groups might resist change? How to overcome that resistance?
- What are some of the key contextual contingencies to take into account when implementing change?
- How to choose appropriate change strategies and tactics and how to sequence them?
- What are typical missteps of change agents and how to avoid them?
FURTHER READINGS ON CHANGE MANAGEMENT
Canato, A. & RAvasi, D. (2015). Managing long-lasting cultural changes. Organizational Dynamics, 44, 75-82.
Congers, J. A. 1998. The necessary art of persuasion. Harvard Business review, 5, 84-95.
Gialdini, R. B. (2001) Harnessing the Science of Persuasion. Harvard Business Review, 10, 1-9.
Monnot, M. J. (2017) Organizational Change Agent Influence: A Conditional Process Model of Key Individual Psychological Resources, Journal of Change Management, 17:3, 268-295
Sirkin, H.J, Keenan, P. & Jackson, A. (2005). The hard side of change management. Harvard Business Review, 10: 1-11.