Aikataulu: 10.04.2019 - 15.05.2019
Vastuuopettaja (voimassa 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Kurssin yhteystiedot (koskee tätä kurssikertaa):
Teachers: Galina Kallio & Timo Järvensivu
Opetusperiodi (voimassa 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
V period 2018-2019 Otaniemi campus
2019-2020 not lectured
Osaamistavoitteet (voimassa 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
The main objective of the course is to learn how dialogue as a method can help us to understand diverse and conflicting conceptualizations of corporate responsibility in global economy. During the course the students will learn what is (and what is not) dialogue, and further, the students will learn to better understand their own and others’ sense-making, and learn to use dialogic methods in various situations. In addition, the participants will learn self-reflexivity and facilitation of dialogues.
Sisältö (voimassa 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
This course is a platform for dialogic learning. The course builds on the existing understandings and experiences of the participants. These are complemented with relevant literature on the key themes of the course. During the course you will engage in reading, talking, listening, writing, presenting and reflecting. We will practice dialogue through methods such as listening and voicing exercises, reflective writing, group works, and finally through practicing open dialogue. We will together deepen our understanding of issues such as the ‘global economy’, sustainable development, economic systems, forms of economic organizing, responsibility, politics and discourse. Towards the end of the course, the students will learn to take responsibility for facilitating dialogues.
Participating in this course requires being present in ten out of eleven sessions, active engagement in and preparation for the course sessions and group works, and writing reflection papers.
Tarkennukset kurssin sisältöön (koskee tätä kurssikertaa):
This course seeks participants who are willing to challenge their perspectives and ways of conversing with themselves and others. We invite you to engage in a deeper dialogue that seeks to transform the way you and others are connected to the world and issues that are of importance in the societies we live in. Thus, you will not just learn about sustainable organizing, but also learn to think in constructive ways and act towards increasing responsibility in the economic, societal and environmental spheres.
Students will learn to demonstrate the following knowledge:
Be able to explain some of the key concepts and approaches related to sustainable organizing – e.g. Corporation, Responsibility, Sustainability, Economy, Markets – and their linkages with each other.
Will be able to recognize the roles of various societal actors (civil society, corporations, the state, and people) in forming and reproducing dominant as well as marginal social constructions of the key concepts, approaches and models.
Be able to analyze the effects that different conceptualizations and meanings of the key concepts have on the way Sustainable Organizing is (or is not) practiced.
Students will develop the following skills:
Take responsibility to listen to self and others, speak openly and genuinely, and respect other human beings
Be able to engage in an open dialogue and differentiate dialogue from other forms of conversation
Know how to facilitate dialogue to deepen collective learning
Toteutus, työmuodot ja arvosteluperusteet (voimassa 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
30% preparation for and participation in the sessions
Tarkennetut arviointiperusteet ja -menetelmät ja tutustuminen arviointiin (koskee tätä kurssikertaa):
Assessment and grading are based on active preparation for and engagement in the sessions, and demonstration of learned knowledge and skills.
Preparation for and participation in the class sessions, 30% of the grade.
Reflection papers, 40 % of the grade.
- Five reflection papers, each covering two sessions, and final reflection paper. 6 reflection papers in total.
Group works, 30% of the grade
- 1/3 self-evaluation, 1/3 peer-evaluation and 1/3 teacher-evaluation.
Evaluation scale from 1-5 will be used.
Työmäärä toteutustavoittain (voimassa 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Contact teaching 40h
Independent work 120h
Tarkennettu kuormittavuuslaskelma (koskee tätä kurssikertaa):
Class preparation (pre-assignments)
Group work 1 and 2
12h + 25h
Oppimateriaali (voimassa 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Articles and other material indicated in the syllabus.
Tarkennukset oppimateriaaliin (koskee tätä kurssikertaa):
Prepare for the course by doing the pre-assignments (by Monday, April 15th2019):
- Watch short introductory videos (link will be provided during the interviews and on the course website).
- Read the following articles on dialogue and on CSR. You can find these in the course material on the course website:
- Bohm, D., Factor, D., and Garrett, P. (1991), Dialogue, A Proposal.
- Isaacs, W. (1993). Taking Flight: Dialogue, Collective Thinking, and Organizational Learning. Organizational Dynamics. 22 (2), 24-39.
- Banerjee, S. B. (2008). Corporate social responsibility: The good, the bad and the ugly. Critical Sociology, 34(1), 51-79.
- Moore, G. (1999). Corporate moral agency: Review and implications. Journal of Business Ethics, 21(4), 329-343.
- Fourcade, M., & Healy, K. (2007). Moral views of market society. Annu. Rev. Sociol., 33, 285-311.
- Scherer & Palazzo (2007), Toward a Political Conception of Corporate Responsibility: Business and Society Seen from a Habermasian Perpective. Academy of Management Review, 32(4), 1096-1120.
Korvaavuudet (voimassa 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Replaces the course 21E11000 Corporate Responsibility in Global Economy.
The course is a substitute for 26E00900 International Corporate Responsibility.
Kurssin kotisivu (voimassa 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Esitiedot (voimassa 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Basic course on business ethics or corporate responsibility is recommended.
Arvosteluasteikko (voimassa 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Ilmoittautuminen (voimassa 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Note: motivation letter and interviews as pre-assignments to the course
Lisätietoja (voimassa 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Max. 25 students. The dialogic method of the course requires limiting course participants to 25.
Toteutuksen lisätiedot (koskee tätä kurssikertaa):
- Write a motivation letter:Please send a brief letter (at maximum half a page long) to both teachers via email (firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com) latest by Friday, April 5th, 2019. Please answer at least these two questions in the letter: Who are you and why do you want to attend this course?
- Attend the personal interview before acceptance to the course:Short interviews will be held on Wednesday, April 10th, and Friday, April 12th, 2019. Please book the time for your 10-15 minute interview latest by Friday, April 5th, 2019, via this link: https://goo.gl/wRTqp3
- Prepare for the course by doing the pre-assignments (see details on the course materials)
- Opettaja: Galina Kallio