Please note! Course description is confirmed for two academic years, which means that in general, e.g. Learning outcomes, assessment methods and key content stays unchanged. However, via course syllabus, it is possible to specify or change the course execution in each realization of the course, such as how the contact sessions are organized, assessment methods weighted or materials used.
The main learning outcome of the course is to understand how to use data analytics based on accounting and financial data in decision-making processes. The course gives a general understanding of how to use various analytical tools and technologies to prepare, visualize the data and use those analyses in the different stages of the business processes. Overall, during the course students develop general decision-making and problem-solving skills using data analytical tools.
Schedule: 27.10.2020 - 03.12.2020
Teacher in charge (valid 01.08.2020-31.07.2022): Arpine Maghakyan, Lasse Niemi
Teacher in charge (applies in this implementation): Arpine Maghakyan
Contact information for the course (applies in this implementation):
CEFR level (applies in this implementation):
Language of instruction and studies (valid 01.08.2020-31.07.2022):
Teaching language: English
Languages of study attainment: English
CONTENT, ASSESSMENT AND WORKLOAD
The course covers the fundamental understanding of accounting and auditing data analytics. Defines and explains the impact of data analytics on the business and accounting profession. In addition, it develops an analytical mindset supported with a provided toolkit to extract, transform, validate and visualize the data. Course includes various models and technics used for data analytics as an increasingly important skill for accountants. All the technics are supported by accounting-specific examples and cases.
Further, the course discusses how
- both internal and external auditors are integrating technology and data analytics to evaluate firm data and generate support for management assertion,
- to apply Data analytics for measuring performance while the company is working toward the targeted goals,
- to access and analyze the financial statement data, to understand the XBRL taxonomy.
Assessment Methods and Criteria
1. Lectures. Fundamental questions in data analytics accounting and auditing.
2. Team work: participants work as a team as follows:
- Group presentations (40 %),
- Cases, exercises (60 %).
Exception in Autumn 2020 online course:
- Group presentations (30 %)
- Cases, exercises (70 %)
- Classroom hours,
- Class preparation, readings,
- Case exercises, presentation.
Reading material announced in class.
22A00110 Laskentatoimen perusteet (6 op) or 22A00110 Introduction to Accounting (6 cr)
SDG: Sustainable Development Goals
8 Decent Work and Economic Growth
- Teacher: Arpine Maghakyan