Please note! Course description is confirmed for two academic years, which means that in general, e.g. Learning outcomes, assessment methods and key content stays unchanged. However, via course syllabus, it is possible to specify or change the course execution in each realization of the course, such as how the contact sessions are organized, assessment methods weighted or materials used.


Knowledge of special areas of film

Credits: 2

Schedule: 11.09.2023 - 15.09.2023

Teacher in charge (valid for whole curriculum period):

Teacher in charge (applies in this implementation): Harri Ylönen

Contact information for the course (applies in this implementation):

Lecturer: Kari Yli-Annala,

Teacher in charge: Harri Ylönen,

Lecture venue:  National Audiovisual Institute, Kino Tulio -theatre

Address: Sörnäisten rantatie 25 A, 5th floor, 00500 Helsinki

CEFR level (valid for whole curriculum period):

Language of instruction and studies (applies in this implementation):

Teaching language: English. Languages of study attainment: English


  • valid for whole curriculum period:

    This course introduces the basics of avant-garde film (or experimental film).

  • applies in this implementation

    Participants also make a short experimental film practise within the course.

Assessment Methods and Criteria
  • valid for whole curriculum period:

    Lectures, viewings and discussions. Writing an essay based on the course.

  • valid for whole curriculum period:

    Lectures and viewings 27 h, independent studies 27 h.

    At least 80% participation in face-to-face teaching is mandatory to complete the course. If, due to absences, the student does not achieve the learning outcomes defined in the course description, the remaining 20% may have to be compensated as determined by the responsible teachers of the course.

    All absences must be reported to the teachers in charge. The responsible teachers of the course will specify the necessary compensating assignments.

    Study methods changed by decision of Academic Committee for Arts, Design and Architecture on 1st of February 2023.


Substitutes for Courses
SDG: Sustainable Development Goals

    4 Quality Education


Further Information
  • valid for whole curriculum period:

    Teaching Language : English

    Teaching Period : 2022-2023 Autumn I
    2023-2024 Autumn I

    Enrollment :

    Registration for courses: Sisu. Priority order to courses is according to the order of priority decided by the Academic committee for School of Arts, Design and Architecture,

    Maximum number of students 50, minimum 2.

  • applies in this implementation

    National Audiovisual Institute, Kino Tulio -theatre

    Address: Sörnäisten rantatie 25 A, 5th floor, 00500 Helsinki

Details on the schedule
  • applies in this implementation

    Monday 9.30-16.00, Tuesday to Friday 9.30-17.00. One hour lunch break around 12.00. On thursday only half day lecture and rest of the day is for students own experimental film practise.