Please note! Course description is confirmed for two academic years, which means that in general, e.g. Learning outcomes, assessment methods and key content stays unchanged. However, via course syllabus, it is possible to specify or change the course execution in each realization of the course, such as how the contact sessions are organized, assessment methods weighted or materials used.


The course expands universal skills and contextual awareness of character animation. The students learn to create convincing character-based performances and believable characters.

Credits: 9

Schedule: 18.09.2023 - 17.11.2023

Teacher in charge (valid for whole curriculum period):

Teacher in charge (applies in this implementation): Tuula Leinonen

Contact information for the course (applies in this implementation):

CEFR level (valid for whole curriculum period):

Language of instruction and studies (applies in this implementation):

Teaching language: English. Languages of study attainment: English


  • valid for whole curriculum period:

    The course uses a wide range of technical resources from traditional drawn and stop motion animation to the latest digitally generated imagery. The course focuses on practice-based knowledge that can be applied to different technical processes rather than on a software-specific skill. It advances the core understanding of character animation principles while the students investigate different character animation traditions and reflect them on their own work. The students will also attend specific acting for animation and life drawing workshops.


Assessment Methods and Criteria
  • valid for whole curriculum period:

    There will be critical analysis of character performance and series of short creative exercises. Active participation in the organized teaching. Performing the given assignments according to instructions and within given timeframes. Supporting peer learning.

  • valid for whole curriculum period:

    Lectures, workshops and masterclasses. Contact teaching 72 h, Independent studies 171 h. At least 80% participation in face-to-face teaching is mandatory to complete the course. If, due to absences, the student does not achieve the learning outcomes defined in the course description, the remaining 20% may have to be compensated as determined by the responsible teachers of the course. All absences must be reported to the teachers in charge. The responsible teachers of the course will specify the necessary compensating assignments


     Study methods changed by decision of Academic Committee for Arts, Design and Architecture on 1st of February 2023


Substitutes for Courses


Further Information