Images and different kinds of media resources are important sources of information and inspiration in learning and research. This learning material in visual resources enables learning skills in the following topics:
- The skills of using visual and media resources are part of information literacy and information retrieval skills in the same way as the managing text based information.
- Recognising trustworthy visual resources and the quality of
desriptive information is important as the use of different online media
becomes common. The high quality resources in digital cultural
heritage, visual culture and design are often available in different
kinds of image databases.
- More advanced tools are available
for searching images online that allow choosing the use license, file
size and some visual qualities.
- Understanding the basics of
copyright and the skills of referencing visual materials in written
assignments and learning exercises are part of the skills of managing
- Creative Commons licenses are also becoming more common in media
materials on the internet, therefore it is good to know some of the
principles of the licensing system.