There are five exercise rounds. Students can solve the exercise problems alone or in the groups of 2-3 students. They can ask advice from the teaching assistants in exercise sessions which will be held regularly, and also in Piazza and Slack. The solutions are submitted to A+ and graded.
Link to A+: https://plus.cs.aalto.fi/databases/2020-summer
It is possible to get at most 6 bonus points to a passed exam (with the maximum of 40 points) from the weekly exercise problems and the feedback. The bonus points from Summer 2020 exercises are valid in the exams arranged in Year 2020 and in the first exam in Year 2021. However, your exam must be passed without these bonus points.
There are 210 exercise points on A+, and you can get another 20 if you fill in the feedback form in the end of the course, making it 230 in total. These are converted into exam bonus points using the following table:
||Exam point bonus
While the exercises are not mandatory, and the associated bonus may not seem much compared to the potential +1 to course grade you can additionally earn from doing well on the project, working with the exercises is an excellent way to learn the contents of the course and prepare for the exam
• June 4th Exercise Round 1 opens (Topics 1 and 2)
• June 8th Exercise Round 2 opens (Topics 3 and 4)
• June 11th Exercise Round 3 opens (Topics 4, 5, and 6)
• June 15th Exercise Round 4 opens (Topics 7 and 8)
• June 18th Exercise Round 5 opens (Topics 9, 10, and 11)
• Aug 4th 10:00 deadline of Exercise Rounds 1, 2, and 3
• Aug 12th 10:00 deadline of Exercise Rounds 4 and 5
Exercise sessions given by TAs (through Zoom)
- We have usually 3-4 exercise sessions per week, some exceptions in July
- Check schedule here
- TA also answers to students' question in the course Piazza platform and Slack.