Welcome to the BCS P04 workspace.This is a blended learning course:
Our first session will be: 08.30-11.30, Tuesday, 4 November, 2021 in online using ZoomSCHEDULEPlease note that all other course materials, including assignments and readings, are in the drop-down menu on the left-hand side of the workspace.
- 4 sessions online using Zoom: 4.11, 11.11, 25.11 & 2.12
- 2 sessions will be on campus in U356 ALMA MEDIA: 18.11 & 9.12
SESSION 1: 4.11 (Online Zoom session)
- Course overview: objectives, assignments, division into teams for groupwork
- Communicating strategically
- Assignment 1 (A1): case analysis, presentations, discussion
- Analysis and discussion of student writing samples
Preparation for session 2
- Read: Input 1, Communicating strategically, and Input 2, Persuasive techniques
- Prepare written request (A1). Upload a copy of this to the respective folder in the SESSION 2 section ready for peer review activities. Please do this before we meet for sesssion 2.
- Prepare your presentation strategy outline (A2a). Please have a copy of this ready to share in our online session next week.
SESSION 2: 11.11 (Online Zoom session)
- Effective business writing
- Getting the right rhetorical mix: Ethos, Logos and Pathos
- Reviewing and editing your draft written requests (A1)
- Fine-tuning your persuasive presentation strategy (A2a)
- High impact introductions and conclusions
Preparation for session 3
- Prepare for the in class-tests QUIZ (A3a) and Written case (A3b) in week 4. Read Input 3, Reader-focused business writing, and Input 4, Impactful and engaging presentations
- Write the final version of your written request (A1). Submit by 08.30, 18.11.
- Finalise your persuasive presentation (A2). Be prepared to present on 26.09. Submit your strategy outline (A2a) to MyCourses by 08.30, 18.11.
SESSION 3: 18.11 (Classroom: U356 ALMA MEDIA)
- 6-8 minute individual persuasive presentations with peer feedback
- Essentials of effective slide design
- Final team presentations (A4): choice of topic
Preparation for session 4
- Start writing A5: critical appraisal of A2 and A4 (due 14.12)
- Prepare for the in class-tests QUIZ (A3a) and Written case (A3b) in week
4. Read Input 3, Reader-focused business writing, and Input 4,
Impactful and engaging presentations
- Prepare final team presentation: plan strategy
SESSION 4: 25.11 (Online Zoom session)
- QUIZ to test knowledge of inputs 1-4 (A3a / 10%)
- In-class written case (A3b / 20%)
- Preparation for next week's A4 team consultation sessions
Preparation for session 5
- Continue preparing final team presentation and upload materials to MyCourses by midday, the day before your consultation with Mike: preview slide / structure of presentation, 3+ questions, draft visuals (if you have any)
SESSION 5: 2.12 Consultation session with Mike (Online Zoom session)
- Team presentation consultation with Mike (25 minutes/team).
08.30: Group 1
09.00: Group 2
09.30: Group 3
10.00: Group 4
10.30: Group 5
11.00: Group 6
11.30: Group 7
12.00: Group 8
Preparation for session 6
- Finalise team presentation
SESSION 6: 9.12 (Classroom:U356 ALMA MEDIA)
- Final team presentations
- We'll probably divide the class into two sessions for these final team presentations:
Session 1 (Groups 1-4): 08.30-10.30
Session 2 (Groups 5-8): 10.30-12.30
We'll make a final decision on this nearer the time.
Submit your critical appraisal of BCS presentation performance (A5) by 08.30, 16.12
We'll divide up into teams in the first session. Please don't add yourselves to any team before then. Thanks.
The link to our Zoom sessions will appear here at least one week before the course begins.
The course has 5 assignments and other required ungraded work. You will find detailed assignment instructions below. A3 is a timed in-class test in session 4, which is divided into two parts: a short multiple-choice quiz, and a longer written test based on a case. You will be given instructions during class.
Written request. Group.
Persuasive presentation outline. Individual.
In-class tests: a. Quiz (10 pts) b. Written case 20 (pts). Ind.
Team presentation. Group.
Critical appraisal of presentations A2 & A4. Individual.
Class contribution: feedback on A2 and A4 presentations. Ind.
Deadlines: To pass the course all assignments must be completed by the given deadlines. The due date for each assignment is clearly stated on the respective submission box in the Assignments folder.Grading criteria: Assignments are assessed using preformulated rubrics on a scale of 0-5.EBC grading criteria: 4.5 and above is a 5; 3.5-4.49 range is a 4; 2,5-3,49 range is a 3. Please take a look at these grading criteria / rubrics (in submission boxes) before you start work on the given assignment, and also before you submit your assignment.
Team assignments: Only one group member needs to submit your team's assignment.
Extra assignments not possible: Students are not able to re-do assignments, or do extra assignments to improve grades or to compensate for absence from class.
This is a highly practical and experiential course so attendance is mandatory. However, one absence during the course is possible if a student has a valid reason. This will result in a 20% reduction of the class participation grade. More than one absence will result in not passing the course.
Assignments at a glance
A1: Written request (10%). Deadlines: 08.30, 11.11 (draft version uploaded to respective folder in Session 2 / MyCourses); 08.30, 17.11 (final version uploaded to respective A1 submission box in Assignments folder)
This group assignment requires you to analyse a communication situation and to write a persuasive request.
A2: Persuasive presentation (15%). Deadlines: 08.30, 11.11 (A2a copy with you in class for peer review); 08.30, 17.11 (submit final version of A2a strategy outline to respective folder in Assignments); 17.11 (A2b presentation)
This individual assignment requires you to give a short 5-8 minute persuasive presentation. You will be graded based on your A2a strategy outline.
A3: In-class test (30%): 25.11 Quiz (10%) & Written case (20%)
This assignment in session 4 has two parts: Quiz (10%) & Written case (20%). It will test your knowledge of inputs 1 – 4, and your ability to put this theory into practice.
A4: Persuasive team presentation (15%). Deadlines: midday, Wednesday, 1.12 (A4a consultation materials); 7.12 (A4b presentation)
In groups, you will give a 15-minute persuasive presentation to your fellow classmates.
A5: Critical appraisal of your persuasive presentation performance (20%). Deadline: 08.30, 16.12.
This final assignment requires you to write a critical appraisal of the two persuasive presentations you have given on this course – A2 individual and A4 team – and to assess your overall presentation performance.
Class contribution (10%)
Your class contribution grade will be based on how active you are in class discussions, and the the feedback you give on:
- all the A2 individual presentations that you see in session 3
- two of the A4 team presentations that you see in session 6
You'll find all the detailed assignment instructions below.
This course has 4 theory inputs.
- Initial analysis of A1 case in class.
You'll have the opportunity to prepare your strategy for the request you'll draft before our next session.
- Analysis and discussion of student writing samples.
This activity focuses on best practices in business writing, and introduces you to the rubrics / grading criteria that we use on all of our business communication courses.
- Initial analysis of A1 case in class.
- Reviewing A1 written request drafts.
You'll give and get feedback on the A1 draft requests that you've written.
- Presenting and fine-tuning your A2 presentation strategy.
You'll give a short overview of the strategy behind the presentation you'll give in session 3. Your fellow group members will give you feedback, question your assumptions and make suggestions which will help you fine-tune your message.
- Reviewing A1 written request drafts.
Feedback on A2 individual presentations.
Breakout room 1: Finavia U250a
Breakout room 2: U359a
Breakout room 3: U359b
Breakout room 4: U359c
Breakout room 5: U360b
Breakout room 6: U360a
Also, remember your feedback should also be uploaded to the Class contribution: upload your feedback on the A2 individual presentations submission box in the Assignments folder by 23.59 today as it forms part of your class contribution grade.
SESSION 5: CONSULTATION SESSIONS
I'll meet each team for 25 minutes to give comments on the presentation you're planning to give next week. This will also give you an ideal opportunity to ask any questions you have related to the presentation.
When planning your presentations do a thorough analysis of the situation as you did with A1 and A2, and then prepare for our consultation session.
Materials for the consultation session
Please upload to the A4a submission box ( in Assignments) by 16.00 the day before our consultation session.
- preview slide, or structure of your presentation
- 3 + questions you have related to the presentation
- draft visuals (slides that you intend to use), if you have any
Feedback on A4 team presentations.
Please write your comments in the respective forum below.
Also, remember that this feedback should also be uploaded to the Class contribution: upload your feedback on the A4 team presentations submission box in the Assignments folder by 23.59 today as it forms part of your class contribution grade.
Due to the size of the class there has been a lot of groupwork. For grading purposes, it's important for me to get an idea of how much members of your team have contributed.So, could you please use this form to evaluate your OWN and other TEAM MEMBERS' contribution to your group work.Please upload your evaluations (pdf) to the submission box provided. Thanks.