Most likely, in your project work you will use CAD tools of our server vspace.
The vspace is accessible inside the whole Aalto network. Therefore, if the X2Go client is installed on any computer inside aalto network (including 'aalto' wlan), vspace should be accessible. You can also install Aalto VPN for you computer to access Aalto domain. An ECD group computer account is required for accessing vspace. Therefore, you need to apply for a personal account before you are able to begin your work. If you already have an account, check that is it active. Do not apply for multiple accounts.
In order to get the account, take the following steps. If you already have an account but you have to reactivate it, jump to step 2.
- Apply for a user account at https://bubba.ecdl.hut.ﬁ/forms
as soon as possible. Do not mind the possible insecure connection
warning. The correct job title is "Student", and application type is
"Apply for Computer user account”.
will be notified by email once the account is ready. You will receive a
form that you still need to
sign before the account can be activated and you will be given a
temporal password. Send the form back to artturi.kaila at aalto.fi
either as a scanned document, or with an electrical signature. It is
mandatory to get your signature before your account can be activated.
- Only after you change the temporal password via ssh you will be able to start an X session (graphical session) in vspace. Log in to vspace via ssh by typing 'ssh firstname.lastname@example.org' in terminal. Use your temporal password to log in. You are automatically addressed to change your password when you log in the first time. After changing your password, type 'exit' to quit the ssh session.
In order to start an X session in vspace, do the following:
- Open X2Go Client
- Open Session -> New Session menu item.
- Type in a unique session name into the Session name text box (for example vspace).
- Set the following settings in the Session tab: Host:
"vspace.ecdl.hut.ﬁ”, Login: your ecdl user name (usually NOT your Aalto
username), and SSH Port: "22”. Make sure the Session type is XFCE.
- On the Connection tab set the connection speed to LAN.
- Click Ok and a new white session box named vspace appears in the window.
- Click on the session box and type in your password. Click Ok to start a session.
- You should now be logged in to vspace and ready to start the
exercises. You may resize the window or go full-screen (recommended) by
pressing [Alt+Ctrl+F]. Use the same key combination to exit fullscreen
mode when needed.
- When you are done with your exercises, close the remote connection by TERMINATING the session. If you just suspend it, eventually a large amount of such sessions may slow down the server, and/or reserve licenses.
- Apply for a user account at https://bubba.ecdl.hut.ﬁ/forms as soon as possible. Do not mind the possible insecure connection warning. The correct job title is "Student", and application type is "Apply for Computer user account”.