Reading list for Homework 2B and Homework 3A
You should be able to find and download all the papers if you are logged in as Aalto user. If Google Scholar doesn’t find the paper, try next e.g., ERIC (https://eric.ed.gov). If you still have problems finding the paper, don’t hesitate to contact us.
1. Student feedback on teaching (Claudio, Eeva-Leena, Esa, Ilyena)
- Boring, A. (2017). Gender biases in student evaluations of teaching. Journal of Public Economics. 145, 27–41. [ScienceDirect]
- Linse, A. (2017). Interpreting and using student ratings data: Guidance for faculty serving as administrators and on evaluation committees. Studies in Educational Evaluation 54, 94–106.
- Braga, M., Paccagnella, M., Pellizzari, M. (2014). Evaluating students’ evaluations of professors. Economics of Education Review 41, 71–88.
- Darwin, S. (2017). What contemporary work are student ratings actually doing in higher education? Studies in Educational Evaluation 54, 13–21.
- Uttl, B., White, C., Gonzalez, D. (2017). Meta-analysis of faculty's teaching effectiveness: Student evaluation of teaching ratings and student learning are not related. Studies in Educational Evaluation 54, 22–42.
2. Methods of giving feedback & assessment (Ana, Dina, Eva, Mika)
- Hyland, F. and Hyland, K. (2001). Sugaring the pill Praise and criticism in written feedback. Journal of Second Language Writing, 10, 185 - 212.
- Cavanaugh, A., Song, L. (2014). Audio Feedback versus Written Feedback: Instructors' and Students' Perspectives. MERLOT Journal of Online Learning and Teaching. 10(1), 122-138.
- Karlsen, K. (2017). The value of oral feedback in the context of capstone projects in design education. Design and Technology Education: An International Journal.
- Orsmond, P., Maw, S., Park, J. , Gomez, S. & Crook, A. (2013). Moving feedback forward: theory to practice, Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 38:2, 240-252.
- Carless, D., Salter, D., Yang, M., & Lam, J. (2011). Developing sustainable feedback practices. Studies in Higher Education, 36(4), 395–407.
- Nicol, D. J., & Macfarlane-Dick, D. (2006). Formative assessment and self‐regulated learning: a model and seven principles of good feedback practice. Studies in Higher Education, 31(2), 199–218.
- Wiliam, D. (2011). What is assessment for learning?, Studies in Educational Evaluation, 37(1), 3-14.
3. Peer (self) feedback (Alexei, Johanna, Kaija, Milica, Rainhard)
- Gielen, S., Dochy, F., & Onghena, P. (2011). An inventory of peer assessment diversity. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 36(2), 137–155.
- Sridharan, B. (2018). Does the use of summative peer assessment in collaborative group work inhibit good judgement? Higher Education, published online August 2018 (18 pages).
- Ching, Yu-Hui; Hsu, Yu-Chang. (2013). Peer Feedback to Facilitate Project-Based Learning in an Online Environment. International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, 14(5), 258-276. [ERIC]
- Planas Lladó, A., Soley, L. F., Fraguell Sansbelló, R. M., Pujolras, G. A., Planella, J. P., Roura-Pascual, N., … Moreno, L. M. (2014). Student perceptions of peer assessment: an interdisciplinary study. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 39(5), 592–610.
- Razı, S. (2016). Open and anonymous peer review in a digital online environment compared in academic writing context. In C. Goria, O. Speicher, & S. Stollhans (Eds), Innovative language teaching and learning at university: enhancing participation and collaboration (pp. 49-56). [ERIC]
- Luc De Grez and Martin Valcke and Irene Roozen. (2012). How effective are self- and peer assessment of oral presentation skills compared with teachers' assessments? Active Learning in Higher Education. 13(2), 129-142.
- De Wever, B., Van Keer, H., Schellens, T., Valcke, M. (2011). Assessing collaboration in a wiki: The reliability of university students' peer assessment, Assessing collaboration in a wiki: The reliability of university students' peer assessment, The Internet and Higher Education, 14(4), 201-2016.
4. Feedback in online courses (Jari-Matti, Naveed, Pascale, Tommi)
- Leibold, N., Leibold, L. (2015). The Art of Giving Online Feedack. The Journal of Effective Teaching, 15(1), 34-46. [ERIC]
- Van der Kleij, F., Feskens, R., Eggen, T. (2015). Effects of Feedback in a Computer-Based Learning Environment on Students' Learning Outcomes: A Meta-Analysis. Review of Educational Research. 85(4), 475–511.
- Heckler, Andrew F. and Mikula, Brendon D. (2016). Factors affecting learning of vector math from computer-based practice: Feedback complexity and prior knowledge. Physical Review Physics Education Research. 12(1), 15 pages.
- Dissertation (choose a section you are interested in reading). Van der Kleij, F. (2013). Computer-Based Feedback In Formative Assessment. https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Fabienne_Van_Der_Kleij/publication/304628867_Computer-based_feedback_in_formative_assessment/links/57759dbf08aead7ba0700138/Computer-based-feedback-in-formative-assessment.pdf
- Chaqmaqchee, Z. (2015). Teacher's Attitude into Different Approach to Providing Feedback to Students in Higher Education. Journal of Education and Practice. 6(2), 150 - 162. [ERIC]
- Irma, J., Blankenship, D. (2014). What do you mean you never got any feedback? Research in Higher Education Journal. 24. 9 pages. [ERIC]
Last modified: Thursday, 4 October 2018, 4:40 PM