Schedule: 08.01.2019 - 14.02.2019
Teacher in charge (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
2018-2019 Rebecca Piekkari
2019-2020 Rilana Riikkinen
Teaching Period (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Period III (2018-2019) Otaniemi Campus
Period III (2019-2020) Otaniemi Campus
Learning Outcomes (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
This is a basic level course on international business and strategy that aims at applying theoretical knowledge to the challenges that internationally operating firms are currently facing. Upon completing the course, the student will be able to:
• Understand a number of theoretical, empirical, and managerial issues in international business strategy
• Develop an ability to apply theoretical knowledge to real-life managerial situ-ations and suggest possible solutions
• Enhance their analytical skills in collecting information (including e.g. news and reports), combining and presenting it with theoretical insights obtained during the course
• Understand ethical dilemmas of firms operating in a global context
• Develop skills to manage conflict in a global context through a simulation
• Write a blog post, thus gaining hands-on experience of professional commu-nication
• Better work in culturally diverse teams
Content (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
This course focuses on developing hands-on skills of operating in the interna-tional business environment. The objective of the course is to advance the un-derstanding of various theoretical aspects of international business and strategy as well as applying them to contemporary real-life cases. Topics covered in the course include national and cultural differences, ethics and sustainability in an international context, international business strategy and internationaliza-tion process, as well as an overview of some international business functions such as global supply chain management and global human resource management.
Assessment Methods and Criteria (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Workload (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Contact teaching 33h
Independent work 127h
Total 160h (6 ECTS)
Study Material (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Main textbook: Global Business Today, 10th edition or 11th edition, by Charles W. L. Hill and G. Tomas M. Hult, McGraw-Hill, 2018, international edition.
Grading Scale (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Registration for Courses (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Further Information (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Max 60 students. Priority list
1. BSc Management students in the Strategy specialization area,
2. other BSc Management students,
3. other BIZ students.
Mandatory class attendance.