Please note! Course description is confirmed for two academic years, which means that in general, e.g. Learning outcomes, assessment methods and key content stays unchanged. However, via course syllabus, it is possible to specify or change the course execution in each realization of the course, such as how the contact sessions are organized, assessment methods weighted or materials used.
After the course the student ...
- Understands water balance and runoff generation mechanism in areas of different land use [Knowledge]
- Understands linkages from runoff processes to generation of nutrient and sediment loads [Knowledge]
- Is able to compile meteorological data for hydrological models [Skill]
- Is able to construct simple hydrological models and apply models in areas of different land use [Skill]
- Can make a plan of agricultural land drainage [Skill]
- Has improved systematic thinking based on modelling concepts [Identity]
- Has enhanced preparedness for hydrological impact assessments [Identity]
Schedule: 07.01.2019 - 21.02.2019
Teacher in charge (valid 01.08.2020-31.07.2022): Harri Koivusalo
Teacher in charge (applies in this implementation): Harri Koivusalo
Contact information for the course (applies in this implementation):
CEFR level (applies in this implementation):
Language of instruction and studies (valid 01.08.2020-31.07.2022):
Teaching language: English
Languages of study attainment: English
CONTENT, ASSESSMENT AND WORKLOAD
History of hydrological modelling; Precipitation-runoff processes in forests, peatlands, agricultural areas, and urban areas; Construction and application of conceptual and process-based precipitation-runoff models; Stormwater modeling in urban areas; Estimation of sediment and nutrient loads in areas of different land use.
Assessment Methods and Criteria
Lectures, demonstrations, weekly exercises, exam. Assessment of the course is based on the exercises and the exam.
Study material is announced in the first lecture and in the course home page in MyCourses.
WAT-E1100 Water and Environmental Engineering, or equivalent knowledge.
SDG: Sustainable Development Goals
2 Zero Hunger
6 Clean Water and Sanitation
11 Sustainable Cities and Communities
13 Climate Action
15 Life on Land