Schedule: 26.02.2019 - 05.04.2019
Teacher in charge (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Teaching Period (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
IV (spring term)
Learning Outcomes (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
After the course the student ...
- Understands factors leading to hydrological extremes in surface waters [knowledge].
- Is able to estimate flood and drought extremes using historical data [skill].
- Is able to quantify lake water balance components and assess regulation impacts on river flow [skills].
- Understands how predicted climate change impacts on water balance components [knowledge].
- Is able to apply multicriteria decision analysis in water resources planning [skills].
- Is able to Identify different aspects of integrated water resources management [knowledge/identity].
- Is aware of the EU Water Framework Directive and its implementation [knowledge].
- Is aware of surface water resources and their distribution [knowledge/identity].
Content (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Frequency analysis in hydrology; Lake water balance and estimation of its components; Regulation of lakes and rivers; Climate variability and hydrology; Decision support in water resources management; Integrated water resources management; Management of surface waters under the EU Water Framework Directive.
Assessment Methods and Criteria (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Lectures, demonstrations, exercises, seminar work. Assessment of the course is based on the exercises and the seminar report.
Study Material (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Study material is announced in the first lecture and in the course home page in MyCourses.
Course Homepage (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Grading Scale (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Registration for Courses (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Registration through WebOodi. Please see WebOodi for the registration dates.
A limited number of students will be accepted to the course, with preference given to students in the Master’s Programme in Water and Environmental Engineering. Other students may be selected based on Motivation Letter and/or other criteria.
The course may not be organized if fewer than 5 students register to the course.
Further Information (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Course components are valid until the next time the course is given or as arranged separately.
Additional information for the course (applies in this implementation):
There is a limit of 24 participants in the course.