|Date and time||Place|
Teaching Period (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
IV (spring term)
Learning Outcomes (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
After the completion of the course the student:
- knows the regulatory framework and specific terminology of environmental risk analysis (RA) particularly in the context of contaminated land management (CLM) [knowledge]
- recognizes the role of RA in different contexts (e.g. CLM, process safety management, chemicals' assessment, waste management) [knowledge]
- is able to explain the different levels and stages of site-specific RA (human health, ecological, groundwater pollution) procedure [skill]
- recognizes the and the key factors affecting the formation of risks at a specific site and basic methods used in the CLM context and their data needs, limitations and uncertainties [knowledge]
- recognizes the importance of risk communication [knowledge]
- is able to extract data and apply selected method(s) used in RA of contaminated land as well as interpret their results [skill]
- is able to act interactively as member of a project team and report and present its results [skill] and recognizes his/her own strengths and weaknesses in group working [identity]
Content (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
The course gives an insight to risk analysis (RA) used in environmental engineering. The focus is on RA of chemically contaminated land, other environmental applications will be dealt with only superficially. Following topics will be covered:
- policy instruments (strategies, regulations) related to RA
- principles and concepts of RA
- RA's data needs and data sources (databases, field studies, desk studies)
- different levels and work steps of RA
- RA methods, i.e. models and other methods (e.g. ecotoxicity tests and other laboratory studies, biomonitoring)
- principles and methods of uncertainty analysis
- RAs role in risk management
- RA in other contexts (process safety management, chemicals' assessment, waste management)
- risk communication issues
Assessment Methods and Criteria (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Scoring of group work, individual assignment(s), activity (contact sessions and excursion) and exam (if organized).
Study Material (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Material presented during the lectures and other contact sessions, other supporting reading material (to be specified and provided in MyCourses page).
Course Homepage (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Grading Scale (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
The course is assessed on scale 0/5 - 5/5 (0 = failed). The grade is calculated from the scores of separate course assignments and exam (if included). All components of the course and their shares in the scoring as well as the scores equivalent to each grade will be announced in the beginning of the course.
Registration for Courses (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Registration through WebOodi. Please see WebOodi for the registration dates.
A limited number of students will be accepted into the course, with preference given to our WAT Master's Programme students. Other students may be selected based on a Motivation Letter and/or other criteria.
The course may not be organized if fewer than 5 students enroll on the course.
Further Information (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Techer in charge: Jaana Sorvari, email@example.com.