Schedule: 15.01.2019 - 07.05.2019
Teacher in charge (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Teaching Period (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
I - II, III - V
Learning Outcomes (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
The Thesis Incubator is intended for students whose master’s thesis process has stalled and who find it difficult to produce scientific text. After the Thesis Incubator, students will
- recognise their challenges and strengths in writing
- have an idea of the thesis and its basic requirements as a whole
- have a realistic view of the structure and implementation of their thesis
- have made progress in their thesis
- have gained an understanding of the principles that support and give structure to the thesis writing process
- have the skills to further their thesis independently and systematically.
Content (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
The mental, social and practical challenges related to thesis writing such as
- controlling the writing process and learning related practical methods
- recognising writer’s block and overcoming it
- using different writing techniques as tools for organising knowledge and structuring the writing process
- understanding your thesis as a whole and writing systematically
Assessment Methods and Criteria (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Attending group meetings once a month, furthering the master’s thesis with the teacher of the Thesis Incubator, and doing exercises on thesis writing and process directing, both as a group and independently. Passing the course requires regular attendance at the group meetings (max 1 absence allowed) and doing exercises that further the master’s thesis process.
Workload (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
20 h of contact teaching and 34 h of independent work
Study Material (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Provided by the teacher
Course Homepage (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Prerequisites (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
The course is intended for students who are pursuing a master´s degree in an Aalto university programme and have had their thesis topic approved by their thesis supervisor.
Grading Scale (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Registration for Courses (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Registration in WebOodi. Please see WebOodi for registration dates.
Further Information (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Registration must be confirmed by attending the firs lesson. Extra absences, if for compelling reasons, may be discussed (preferably in advance) with teh teacher.
- Teacher: Hanna Hakala