Schedule: 08.01.2019 - 14.02.2019
Teacher in charge (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Teaching Period (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
I, III, IV
Learning Outcomes (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
At course completion, you will be able:
- to pronounce Finnish intelligibly
- to understand the main words used in your environment
- to introduce yourself and tell about your general background and current situation using ordinary phrases
- to manage in Finnish in common social situations and services on and off campus
- and to compose brief messages on everyday topics using language aids.
- You will also know some of the particular features of Finnish customs and communication.
Content (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
- Acquiring the rudimentary vocabulary of everyday life (greetings and introductions; lands, languages and peoples; numbers, expressions of time, food, weather, university studies, family, and describing persons).
- Learning the basic structures of the language (phonetics, vowel harmony, consonant gradation, interrogative and answer clauses, the singular partitive and genitive, possessives (-lla on), and verb types 1–3.
- Practising routine service and social situations.
Assessment Methods and Criteria (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Passing the course requires regular attendance (max. two absences allowed), active participation in class and completion of the given homework. Written examination. The weight of the different assignments in the final evaluation is specified at the start of the course.
Workload (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Teaching in group 24 hrs + independent work 30 hrs
Study Material (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Gehring-Heinzmann: Suomen mestari 1 (Chapters 1–4) and extra material by the teacher.
Course Homepage (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
CEFR level (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Starting Level 0, Target level: A1.1
Prerequisites (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
The course is intended for beginners.
Grading Scale (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
0 - 5
Registration for Courses (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Further Information (valid 01.08.2018-31.07.2020):
Target group: Degree students, doctoral students and Aalto employees. Registration must be confirmed by attending the first lesson. Extra absences, if for compelling reasons, may be discussed (preferably in advance) with the teacher.
Please note that the course will be organised if a minimum of 10 people register for it.