Please note! Course description is confirmed for two academic years, which means that in general, e.g. Learning outcomes, assessment methods and key content stays unchanged. However, via course syllabus, it is possible to specify or change the course execution in each realization of the course, such as how the contact sessions are organized, assessment methods weighted or materials used.
The student learns to systematically find information on a subject in their field using the various information sources offered by the Learning Centre and also learns to draw on these skills when working on their own final project. The student masters the conceptual analysis of information needs and formulation of keywords. The student is able to assess various information sources and their quality and is familiar with reference management tools.
Schedule: 21.01.2021 - 16.02.2021
Teacher in charge (valid 01.08.2020-31.07.2022): Eila Rämö
Teacher in charge (applies in this implementation): Eila Rämö
Contact information for the course (applies in this implementation):
CEFR level (applies in this implementation):
Language of instruction and studies (valid 01.08.2020-31.07.2022):
Teaching language: English
Languages of study attainment: English
CONTENT, ASSESSMENT AND WORKLOAD
Emphasis of the training will be agreed based on the needs of each group, but for example the following subjects are covered during the course:
• conceptual analysis of the student’s need for information
• search techniques: a systematic information search process and strategies
• key information sources of the student’s own field of science and subject, information structure
• remote use of licensed materials
• comprehensive retrieval of information on the student’s own research theme, analysis of the process and results
• familiarising oneself with reference management and reference management tools and their use for producing scientific writing • assessing materials and the ethical grounds of information use
• how to find and use images
Assessment Methods and Criteria
12 hrs of contact teaching in computer classroom, independent exercises.
12 h contact teaching, 15 hours independent exercises and application of acquired knowledge
slides, Mycourses, Libguides