Please note! Course description is confirmed for two academic years, which means that in general, e.g. Learning outcomes, assessment methods and key content stays unchanged. However, via course syllabus, it is possible to specify or change the course execution in each realization of the course, such as how the contact sessions are organized, assessment methods weighted or materials used.
After the course the student will be able
- to adopt the code of conduct of the academic community.
- to set personal goals for effective learning and skills development.
- to communicate and collaborate in a multicultural and multidisciplinary learning environment.
- to identify opportunities for academic entrepreneurship and career development.
- to work safely in laboratory and conduct the principles of scientific research and communication.
Schedule: 04.09.2020 - 30.04.2021
Teacher in charge (valid 01.08.2020-31.07.2022): Kyösti Ruuttunen
Teacher in charge (applies in this implementation): Sandip Bankar, Sami Franssila, Sami Franssila, Michael Gasik, Kari Laasonen, Marjatta Louhi-Kultanen, Thaddeus Maloney, Tapani Nieminen, Kyösti Ruuttunen, Tapani Vuorinen
Contact information for the course (valid 11.08.2020-21.12.2112):
Senior University Lecturer
Aalto University School of Chemical Engineering
Department of Bioproducts and Biosystems
Vuorimiehentie 1, Espoo
+358 50 3442981
CEFR level (applies in this implementation):
Language of instruction and studies (valid 01.08.2020-31.07.2022):
Teaching language: English
Languages of study attainment: English
CONTENT, ASSESSMENT AND WORKLOAD
The following tasks are compulsory parts of the course:
- Life and studying: contents and practices of the master's program, Aalto Code of Conduct, safety in laboratory, personal study plan, academic advising, major-specific feedback sessions (0.5-1.5 cr)
- Intercultural communication: workshops and exercises (0.5 cr)
- Tools and skills: information search, introduction to studying techniques and time management, principles of scientific research and communication, analysis of written theses and/or participation in master's thesis seminars (1.5 cr)
- Entrepreneurial mindset in the context of circular economy: workshops, exercises (0.5 cr)
In addition, elective modules (each 1 cr) are organised in varying topics (e.g. career planning, time management), enabling the students to receive up to 5 cr from this course (minimum requirement 3 cr).
Applies in this implementation:
For all detailed information on the course, please see the MyCourses workspace.
Assessment Methods and Criteria
Lectures/seminars, workshops, independent work; total workload 81-135 h.
Substitutes for Courses
CHEM-E0100 Academic Learning Community
To participate, the student should be accepted as a student in the Master's Programme in Chemical, Biochemical and Materials Engineering. Other students wanting to participate should be in contact with the responsible teacher before being registered to the course.
- Teacher: Jari Aromaa
- Teacher: Sandip Bankar
- Teacher: Matthew Billington
- Teacher: Lidia Borisova
- Teacher: Jan Deska
- Teacher: Tero Eerikäinen
- Teacher: Mady Elbahri
- Teacher: Sami Franssila
- Teacher: Michael Gasik
- Teacher: Eero Hiltunen
- Teacher: Jonna Hurme
- Teacher: Anja Hänninen
- Teacher: Kaj Jakobsson
- Teacher: Ville Jokinen
- Teacher: Reetta Karinen
- Teacher: Marko Kekkonen
- Teacher: Henriette Kervinen
- Teacher: Kavindra Kesari
- Teacher: Anna Klemettinen
- Teacher: Jukka Kortela
- Teacher: Kari Laasonen
- Teacher: Sami Lipponen
- Teacher: Marjatta Louhi-Kultanen
- Teacher: Thaddeus Maloney
- Teacher: Minna Marin
- Teacher: Lasse Murtomäki
- Teacher: Anna Mäkilä
- Teacher: Tapani Nieminen
- Teacher: Henna Niiva
- Teacher: Emmi Ollila
- Teacher: Juha-Pekka Pokki
- Teacher: Riikka Puurunen
- Teacher: Eeva-Leena Rautama
- Teacher: Anni Rintala
- Teacher: Kyösti Ruuttunen
- Teacher: Golam MD Sarwar
- Teacher: Silvan Scheller
- Teacher: Rinna Toikka
- Teacher: Juan Jose Valle Delgado
- Teacher: Tiia Viinikainen
- Teacher: Heli Viskari
- Teacher: Tapani Vuorinen
- Teacher: Kirsi Yliniemi