Please note! Course description is confirmed for two academic years, which means that in general, e.g. Learning outcomes, assessment methods and key content stays unchanged. However, via course syllabus, it is possible to specify or change the course execution in each realization of the course, such as how the contact sessions are organized, assessment methods weighted or materials used.
After the course the student
1. Model chemistry and thermodynamics related to thermochemical conversion and multiphase chemical equilibrium and mass transfer.
2. Prepare market study of different biomass raw material, products, material margin and process alternatives.
3. Utilize engineering tools to generate material and energy balances, sustainability analysis
4. Create engineering design data for equipment sizing
5. Estimate capital investment, operating and production costs
6. Perform profitability analysis.
7. Prepare a business model
Schedule: 12.01.2021 - 12.05.2021
Teacher in charge (valid 01.08.2020-31.07.2022): Pekka Oinas
Teacher in charge (applies in this implementation): Pekka Oinas
Contact information for the course (applies in this implementation):
CEFR level (applies in this implementation):
Language of instruction and studies (valid 01.08.2020-31.07.2022):
Teaching language: English
Languages of study attainment: English
CONTENT, ASSESSMENT AND WORKLOAD
Design of thermochemical unit operations (Pyrolysis, Gasification, Combustion)
Process simulations to generate material and energy balances
PFD and PI diagrams, lay-out and utilities, emissions and waste of the plant
Design of process alternative concepts.
Capital investments, 0perating and production cost calculations
Business management and business model
Assessment Methods and Criteria
Lectures including visiting lecturers from industry
Project work in groups for process design, feasibility study and business case - reporting seminar
135 h in total
Lectures 20 h
Exercises 20 h
Project work 78 h
Other independent studying 17 h
CHEM-E1120 Thermochemical processes: Project assignment guide (Oinas, Sarwar)
CHEM-C2150 Process Design
SDG: Sustainable Development Goals
4 Quality Education
6 Clean Water and Sanitation
7 Affordable and Clean Energy
9 Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
12 Responsible Production and Consumption
17 Partnerships for the Goals