Please note! Course description is confirmed for two academic years, which means that in general, e.g. Learning outcomes, assessment methods and key content stays unchanged. However, via course syllabus, it is possible to specify or change the course execution in each realization of the course, such as how the contact sessions are organized, assessment methods weighted or materials used.
On successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Create simple interactive programs
- Apply basic programming concepts and techniques, such as variables, functions, flow control, comments, types, objects and arrays
- Recognize the uses of programming in a creative context
Schedule: 10.09.2020 - 15.10.2020
Teacher in charge (valid 01.08.2020-31.07.2022): Matti Niinimäki, Markku Reunanen
Teacher in charge (applies in this implementation): Matti Niinimäki
Contact information for the course (valid 10.08.2020-21.12.2112):
CEFR level (applies in this implementation):
Language of instruction and studies (valid 01.08.2020-31.07.2022):
Teaching language: English
Languages of study attainment: English
CONTENT, ASSESSMENT AND WORKLOAD
- Fundamental computational thinking
- Data types and structures
- Flow control statements (loops, conditional execution)
- Basics of object-oriented programming
- Best practices (commenting, formatting, structuring)
- Getting to know examples of programming as a creative medium
Applies in this implementation:
This run of the course will be taught completely online in Fall 2020.
Assessment Methods and Criteria
Working methods: lectures, readings, individual assignments, tutoring, a larger final project.
Assessment: 80% presence in class, completed assignments and final project.
Contact teaching 36–48 hours, independent work 44–124 hours depending on the course implementation and project size.
Online resources, such as readings and examples, and other material as provided by the teacher.
Substitutes for Courses
- DOM-E5032 Software Studies for Media Designers
- DOM-E5060 Software Studies: Programming for Artists
No prerequisites, the course is suitable for complete beginners.
- Teacher: Matti Niinimäki