Please note! Course description is confirmed for two academic years (1.8.2018-31.7.2020), which means that in general, e.g. Learning outcomes, assessment methods and key content stays unchanged. However, via course syllabus, it is possible to specify or change the course execution in each realization of the course, such as how the contact sessions are organized, assessment methods weighted or materials used.

LEARNING OUTCOMES

At the end of the course, students will be familiar with

  • Basic concept and theories of labor economics in topics such as labor demand, labor supply, job search, job loss and unemployment, and labor market policies.
  • Examples of empirical work investigating these theories

Credits: 6

Schedule: 02.03.2021 - 13.04.2021

Teacher in charge (valid 01.08.2020-31.07.2022):

Teacher in charge (applies in this implementation): Kristiina Huttunen

Contact information for the course (applies in this implementation):

CEFR level (applies in this implementation):

Language of instruction and studies (valid 01.08.2020-31.07.2022):

English

CONTENT, ASSESSMENT AND WORKLOAD

Content
  • Valid 01.08.2020-31.07.2022:

    This course provides an overview of the modern theoretical and empirical approaches that economists use to analyze the labor markets. We will emphasize the interplay between theory and empirics and cover topics such as labor supply, labor demand, job search, job loss, unemployment and labor market policies.

Assessment Methods and Criteria
  • Valid 01.08.2020-31.07.2022:

    There will be four graded problem sets and a final exam. One third of the final grade (33%)  will be based on the performance in these problem sets and the final exam will account for the remaining two thirds (67%). To pass the course, you should pass both the problem sets and the exam.

DETAILS

Study Material
  • Valid 01.08.2020-31.07.2022:

    Articles  assigned at the course. Selected chapters from book “Labor Economics” either by Cahuc/Carcillo/Zylberberg (2014, Second edition) or alternatively Cahuc/Zylbergerg (2004).

Prerequisites
  • Valid 01.08.2020-31.07.2022:

    You should be comfortable with intermediate microeconomics and with basic concepts covered in Empirical Methods for Economists (31C01200 Taloustieteen empiiriset menetelmät or 30C00200 Econometrics or 30C00500 Ekonometria, or Capstone course 31C99904 Econometrics and Data Analysis). We recommend also Microeconometrics I (31E00910), but is not a formal prerequisite of the course, we will also briefly review empirical methods in class.

FURTHER INFORMATION

Description

Registration and further information