Please note! Course description is confirmed for two academic years (1.8.2018-31.7.2020), which means that in general, e.g. Learning outcomes, assessment methods and key content stays unchanged. However, via course syllabus, it is possible to specify or change the course execution in each realization of the course, such as how the contact sessions are organized, assessment methods weighted or materials used.
After the course the student:
1. is able to safely use the most common machine tools under the direct supervision of an instructor.
2. knows the basics of NC-and CAD/CAM-programming including industrial robots.
3. is able to apply knowledge and skills previously taught in the field of production engineering.
4. is able to design and conduct small-scale empirical research.
5. is able to produce a written research report based on the results of the research.
6. has learned collaborative skills in laboratory excercises and writing reports as a part of a small group.
Schedule: 01.03.2021 - 01.03.2021
Teacher in charge (valid 01.08.2020-31.07.2022): Juha Huuki
Teacher in charge (applies in this implementation): Juha Huuki, Pekka Kyrenius
Contact information for the course (applies in this implementation):
CEFR level (applies in this implementation):
Language of instruction and studies (valid 01.08.2020-31.07.2022):
Teaching language: English
Languages of study attainment: English
CONTENT, ASSESSMENT AND WORKLOAD
Previously taught knowledge and skills in the field of production engineering are applied in hands-on laboratory exercises. The course introduces students to the use of the most common machine tools and the basics of NC- and CAD/CAM -programming. Students work in a small group and conduct small-scale empirical research in various laboratory exercises. The methods and the research results are reported in written research reports.
Assessment Methods and Criteria
Introductory lecture(s), pre-requisite exam and supervised laboratory exercises including the writing of research reports
5 cr = 135 h
Introductory lecture/contact hours 4 h
Pre-requisite exam 2 h
Preparing for pre-requisite exam/self-study 22 h
Laboratory excercises/contact hours 16 h
Preparing for laboratory excercises/independent and group working 4 x 8 h = 32 h
Preparing reports/independent and group working 4 x 15 h = 60 h
Substitutes for Courses
Substitutes for the course Kon-15.3157 Research Basics of Production Engineering (7 cr)
MEC-E1080 Production Engineering (5 cr)
MEC-E7002 Manufacturing Methods I (5 cr)