Please note! Course description is confirmed for two academic years, which means that in general, e.g. Learning outcomes, assessment methods and key content stays unchanged. However, via course syllabus, it is possible to specify or change the course execution in each realization of the course, such as how the contact sessions are organized, assessment methods weighted or materials used.
After successfully completing this course, students should be able to design surface designs with different methods and tools and for various purposes.
- Students experience the creative process from inspiration to sketches and further to finished surface designs and colourways.
- Students are familiar with repeats, design and coordination of colourways and surface design and textile collections
- Students are familiar with commercial and industrial aspects to surface design, commercial collection design, product design process, design management, as well as color and trend forecasting systems.
- Students are able to follow a given theme in their own design work.
- Students learn to use basic design tools used for commercial surface design. > This course is an obligatory prerequisite for the PatternLab project.
Schedule: 11.01.2021 - 18.02.2021
Teacher in charge (valid 01.08.2020-31.07.2022): Maarit Salolainen
Teacher in charge (applies in this implementation): Maarit Salolainen
Contact information for the course (valid 07.12.2020-21.12.2112):
maarit.salolainen at aalto.fi
CEFR level (applies in this implementation):
Language of instruction and studies (valid 01.08.2020-31.07.2022):
Teaching language: English
Languages of study attainment: English
CONTENT, ASSESSMENT AND WORKLOAD
During the first weeks of the course students develop visual concepts in teams. One theme / colourway concept is selected and all students follow it throughout their individual design process. Creative hands-on sketching sessions with various materials and techniques are organized to support the artistic process, followed by experiments in repeat design, surface design by hand and lessons in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop -programs as surface design tools. The creative process is completed with presentations by visiting designe, by lectures on surface design, commercial textile collection design, design management, advancements in printing technology regarding sustainable production methods and new service systems for printed textiles.
Applies in this implementation:
The course will be held in hybrid mode in 2021 due to the covid-19 pandemic. Most lectures and CAD-classes will be held online. The hands-on workshops will be held at the campus.
Assessment Methods and Criteria
Students are assessed on:
Activity and participation (25%)
Individual development during the course (50%)
Final results (25%)
25 h Lectures and critiques
30 h Hands-on workshops with tutoring
36 h CAD-Lessons with hands-on practice in IT-class
20 h Teamwork
123 h Independent work
36 h Own reflection
Study materials are handed out to the students during the course.
Basic skills of Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator are prerequisites.
SDG: Sustainable Development Goals
9 Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
12 Responsible Production and Consumption
13 Climate Action