Please note! Course description is confirmed for two academic years (1.8.2018-31.7.2020), which means that in general, e.g. Learning outcomes, assessment methods and key content stays unchanged. However, via course syllabus, it is possible to specify or change the course execution in each realization of the course, such as how the contact sessions are organized, assessment methods weighted or materials used.
After the course a student:
- Can analyse planning systems and their role and importance in land use planning
- Can evaluate elements and characteristics of planning systems
- Is familiar with different types of planning systems, and can analyse and compare their characteristics to the Finnish planning system
- Understands societal, spatial and legal contexts of land use planning
- Can utilize planning and policy instruments in studio courses and in planning work
Schedule: 09.09.2020 - 23.10.2020
Teacher in charge (valid 01.08.2020-31.07.2022): Hanna Mattila, Hanna Mattila
Teacher in charge (applies in this implementation): Hanna Mattila, Hanna Mattila
Contact information for the course (valid 18.08.2020-21.12.2112):
email: email@example.com, tel. +358 50 512 4538
CEFR level (applies in this implementation):
Language of instruction and studies (valid 01.08.2020-31.07.2022):
Teaching language: English
Languages of study attainment: English
CONTENT, ASSESSMENT AND WORKLOAD
- Finnish planning system & international examples of different kinds of planning systems.
- Elements and characteristics of planning systems, covering both statutory planning, se well as "soft", non-statutory, planning and policy instruments with which urban and regional structures can be steered.
- Socio-spatial and legal contexts of land use planning.
Assessment Methods and Criteria
The course consists of lectures,independent work & group work. Evaluation is based on learning outcomes - group assignments as well as individual assignments (exam, essay, learning diary or similar) will be avaluated
Lectures, independent work & group work.
Academic articles / book chapters / reports / legal and policy texts. (to be announced in the first lecture)
Substitutes for Courses
Maa-20.3510 Strategic Urban and Regional Planning OR Maa-78.3220 Maankäytön startegiat ja suunnitteluyhteistyö
SDG: Sustainable Development Goals
11 Sustainable Cities and Communities
13 Climate Action
15 Life on Land
- Teacher: Hanna Mattila