Please note! Course description is confirmed for two academic years (1.8.2018-31.7.2020), which means that in general, e.g. Learning outcomes, assessment methods and key content stays unchanged. However, via course syllabus, it is possible to specify or change the course execution in each realization of the course, such as how the contact sessions are organized, assessment methods weighted or materials used.
The purpose of the course is to familiarize the students with opportunities, challenges, principles and tools of managing resources which are outside a firm's organizational boundaries for improved effectiveness, efficiency, and innovation. After passing the course the students knows what is the significance and strategic role of external resources in contemporary organizations and is capable of:
1) Designing and developing (purchasing) categories that support effective external resource management
3) Carrying out spend analysis and utilize it to support external resource management
4) Designing category strategies and choosing tactical sourcing levers that support the strategy
5) Executing total cost of ownership analysis and use it in external resource management
6) Executing supply market analysis for developing supply market intelligence (SMI)
7) Carrying out systematic sourcing process and preparing for contract negotiations
8) Using both competitive and collaborative incentives for managing suppliers
9) Leveraging external resources in innovation activities
10) Making systematic and justified make-or-buy decisions
11) Dealing with the specifics of public and service purchasing
The goal is to provide students both theoretical and conceptual tools to deeply understand the field, and the skills to solve the challenging problems in practice.
Schedule: 09.09.2020 - 02.12.2020
Teacher in charge (valid 01.08.2020-31.07.2022): Kari Tanskanen
Teacher in charge (applies in this implementation): Kari Tanskanen
Contact information for the course (applies in this implementation):
CEFR level (applies in this implementation):
Language of instruction and studies (valid 01.08.2020-31.07.2022):
Teaching language: English
Languages of study attainment: English
CONTENT, ASSESSMENT AND WORKLOAD
Basic principles of managing external resources, systematic sourcing process, make or buy decisions and outsourcing, categorizatin and analysing firms' external spend, total cost of ownership, sourcing strategies and tactical sourcing levers, supply market intelligence, supplier selection, managing interorganizational relations, service purchasing and supply management, public procurement.
Assessment Methods and Criteria
5 cr course: weekly assignments and workshops (100%)
3 cr course: weekly assignments and workshops (60%), empirical assignment (40%)
In addition, students (both in 3cr and 5cr courses) must answer correctly to all quizzes in the course videos. The quizzes can be retaken as many times as necessary.
Applies in this implementation:
There is an error in the assessment methods and criteria (5 cr and 3 cr course criteria should be the other way around). The correct criteria are:
3 cr course: weekly assignments and workshops (100%)
5 cr course: weekly assignments and workshops (60%), empirical assignment (40%).
3 cr course: Weekly assignments 10*6h=60h + workshops 10*2h=20h = 81 hours total
5 cr course: Weekly assignments 60h + workshops 20h + empirical assignment 55h = 135 hours total
Podcasts and course reading provided in MyCourses.
Substitutes for Courses
TU-22.1206 (5 cr version) or TU-22.1208 (3 cr version)
TU-C2020 Operations Management
SDG: Sustainable Development Goals
1 No Poverty
8 Decent Work and Economic Growth
13 Climate Action
- Teacher: Kari Tanskanen