Please note! Course description is confirmed for two academic years, which means that in general, e.g. Learning outcomes, assessment methods and key content stays unchanged. However, via course syllabus, it is possible to specify or change the course execution in each realization of the course, such as how the contact sessions are organized, assessment methods weighted or materials used.


Students learn about possibilities, characteristics and goals of experimental expression in animation, as well as about the differencies between traditional straightforward and expressional narrative. Students know how to develope their own experimental animation project.

Credits: 6

Schedule: 04.03.2024 - 22.03.2024

Teacher in charge (valid for whole curriculum period):

Teacher in charge (applies in this implementation): Tuula Leinonen

Contact information for the course (applies in this implementation):

CEFR level (valid for whole curriculum period):

Language of instruction and studies (applies in this implementation):

Teaching language: English. Languages of study attainment: English


  • valid for whole curriculum period:

    Students get to see a plenty of experimental animations done in different animation techniques. The possibilities and styles of experimental animation are discussed. Students do tests and experiments in experimental animation with their chosen technique.

Assessment Methods and Criteria
  • valid for whole curriculum period:

    Active participation in the organized teaching Performing the given assignments according to instructions and within given timeframes Supporting peer learning.

    Evaluation criteria changed by decision of Academic Committee for Arts, Design and Architecture on 1st of February 2023.

  • valid for whole curriculum period:

    Lectures, examples/film-watching, analyzing, exercises, homework. Contact teaching 72 h, Independent studies 90 h. At least 80% participation in face-to-face teaching is mandatory to complete the course. If, due to absences, the student does not achieve the learning outcomes defined in the course description, the remaining 20% may have to be compensated as determined by the responsible teachers of the course. All absences must be reported to the teachers in charge. The responsible teachers of the course will specify the necessary compensating assignments.

    Study methods changed by decision of Academic Committee for Arts, Design and Architecture on 1st of February 2023.


Study Material
  • valid for whole curriculum period:

    Course materials will be provided during the course



Substitutes for Courses


Further Information