Please note! Course description is confirmed for two academic years, which means that in general, e.g. Learning outcomes, assessment methods and key content stays unchanged. However, via course syllabus, it is possible to specify or change the course execution in each realization of the course, such as how the contact sessions are organized, assessment methods weighted or materials used.


The students achieve the skills and expertise they need to develop scripts for animation. They are inspired to find fresh approaches to storytelling and expand the boundaries of animation into new forms of visual storytelling

Credits: 6

Schedule: 20.11.2023 - 15.12.2023

Teacher in charge (valid for whole curriculum period):

Teacher in charge (applies in this implementation): Tuula Leinonen

Contact information for the course (applies in this implementation):

CEFR level (valid for whole curriculum period):

Language of instruction and studies (applies in this implementation):

Teaching language: English. Languages of study attainment: English


  • valid for whole curriculum period:

    The course addresses script development in animation shorts, features and series. It also encourages inventive forms of storytelling, while the students investigate the narratology in the moving image.


Assessment Methods and Criteria
  • valid for whole curriculum period:

    Lectures and workshops alongside with supervised practical work. Active participation in the organized teaching. Performing the given assignments according to instructions and within given timeframes. Supporting peer learning.

  • valid for whole curriculum period:

    Contact teaching 48 h, Independent studies 114 h. At least 80% participation in face-to-face teaching is mandatory to complete the course. If, due to absences, the student does not achieve the learning outcomes defined in the course description, the remaining 20% may have to be compensated as determined by the responsible teachers of the course. All absences must be reported to the teachers in charge. The responsible teachers of the course will specify the necessary compensating assignments

    Study methods changed by decision of Academic Committee for Arts, Design and Architecture on 1st of February 2023



Substitutes for Courses


Further Information