Welcome to the Management Communication P02 workspace.
Our first class session will be on Tuesday, 16 April in U-358, 3rd flr, Otakaari 1.
However, before that there is a mandatory pre-work consisting of readings and 2 pre-course assignments, which should be completed before coming to our first session on 15.1.2019. Details in the pre-work folder on the left.
The course schedule is below.
Please note that all other materials, including the pre-work, assignments and readings, are in the drop-down menu in the top left-hand corner of the workspace. Materials will become available once registration is complete.
PRE-WORK: Mandatory readings and 2 pre-course tasks
Due 08.30,Tuesday, 16 April.
- Competing Values Communication Framework: readings
- Communicator profile
- Objective-driven presentation
Details in pre-work folder (drop-down menu on the left).
Upload 2 and 3 to the respective submission boxes in the pre-work folder by 08.30, Tuesday, 16 April and bring 1 soft or hard copy of each assignment to the first day of class for peer review.
SESSION 1: 16.04
- Course overview: objectives, assignments
- Competing Values Communication Framework
- Discussion of CVCF Communicator Profiles
- Fine-tuning CVCF objective-driven presentation: feedback on strategy
- Division into groups for project (A4): choice of project situation
Preparation for session 2
On your own
- Read Input 2: Strategic Contingency Model (SCM)
- Read Input 3: Persuasive managerial writing: sensitive messages
- Read Input 4: Reader-focused business writing
- Fine-tune your individual CVCF objective-driven presentation for 23 April.
- Prepare A1, the Bad News Message (BNM) draft. Due 23 April.
- Prepare communication project proposal (A4) in your group. Due 30 April.
SESSION 2: 23.04
- Objective-driven presentations (pre-work assignment)
- Peer reviewing & editing BNM (A1). Final version due 30 April.
Preparation for session 3
On your own
- Read Rogers (2003), Building a case and arguing with sophistication
- Read Denning, S. (2004), Telling Tales and Conger, J. (1991), Inspiring others
- Prepare individual transformational speech outline (A3) upload MyCourses by 7 May, and bring a copy to class for peer review.
- Write the final version of your BNM (A1) and upload to MyCourses by 30 April.
- Prepare the managerial proposal in your group (A2) and bring two copies to class on 7 May to allow for peer review activities.
SESSION 3: 7.5
- Reviewing and editing your managerial proposals (A2). Final version is due 14 May.
- Feedback on transformational speech (A3) outlines
- Writing an executive summary: focus on your A4 Executive Summary (ES)
Preparation for session 4
On your own
- Finalise your transformational presentation (A3). Be ready to present on 14 May.
- Read Input 5: Writing an executive summary
- Read input 6: Essentials of effective slide design
- Read input 7: Preparing an effective recommendation presentation
- Finalise A3, the Managerial Proposal and upload it to MyCourses by 08.30, Tuesday 14, May.
- Prepare your communication project presentation and executive summary (A4)
SESSION 4: 14.5
- Transformational speeches with peer feedback (A3)
Preparation for session 5
On your own
- View your transformational speech and write your appraisal (A3c). Upload to MyCourses by 21 May.
- Read: Yates, J. (2009), Active listening, and Munter, M. (2007), Q and A sessions.
- Upload your A4 executive summary to MyCourses by midday, Monday, 20 May.
- Finalise your A4 final team presentation.
- Read the Executive Summary of the group you're going to be the audience for, and prepare a few questions you'd like to ask them after their presentation.
SESSION 5: 21.5
- Consultant presentations to top management of your project organisation / company followed by Q&A (A4)