Teaching assistant as a learning instructor (2 ECTS, autumn 2018)
Welcome to course page of teaching assistant training on Aalto School of Science. Teaching assistants at Aalto University School of Science have an opportunity to proceed 2 credits pedagogical training, which is made to support their work as a teaching assistant.
In this MyCourses platform you can find course description, all instructions for completing the course as well as the teaching materials used in teaching sessions.
Intended Learning Outcomes
After the course you will:
- be able to observe the environment from the learning perspective and identify aspects to support students' learning process.
- recognize ways to how to supports students' study motivation
- identify your role as a learning instructor and find ways to regulate your behavior adjusted to students' needs.
Course prerequisites, substitutes, in your degree
This course has not any prerequisites but you should work as a teaching assistant. If you are interested in to continue your pedagogical studies after this course, you may credit it into A! Peda Intro (5 cr) -course. Please contact course teachers for more information. You can include the course (2 cr) in the block of elective courses in BSc and MSc degrees. In case of PhD studies, you should consult your supervising professor but typically this course is accepted. If working in Dept. of Applied Physics, there exist instructions.
Course structure, timetable and enrolment
The course consists of 3 half-day teaching sessions, independent work, group working and e-learning.
Teaching session #1 (similar content on Friday 7.9.2018, Monday 10.9.2018, Wednesday 12.9.2018 and Friday 14.9.2018) is open for all interested teaching assistants (TA). Sessions #2 and #3 (in October-December) will be for those who prefer completing this as a pedagogical course. The course will take place if we receive minimum 10 participants.
First contact teaching session (for all interested):
- Friday 7.9.2018 at 9.00-12.00, room Deloitte (U119), Otakaari 1, instruction language Finnish
- Monday 10.9.2018 at 9.00-12.00, room Deloitte (U119), Otakaari 1, instruction language Finnish
- Wednesday 12.9.2018 at 12.30-15.30, room TU6 (1199), Maarintie 8, instruction language English
- Friday 14.9.2018 at 9.00-12.00, hall AS3 (room 1021-22), Maarintie 8, instruction language Finnish
Second contact teaching session (only for 2 cr course):
- Thursday 4.10.2018 at 9.00-12.00, room Majakka (M140) Otakaari 1, instruction language English
Third contact teaching session (only for 2 cr course):
- Wednesday 31.10.2018 at 9.00-12.00, room Deloitte (U119) Otakaari 1, instruction language English
The enrolment for the first session (7.-14.9.2018) by 31.8.2018 (late enrolments => contact Kirsti and Jukka by email). After the first session, there is the enrolment for the course (2 cr).
The participants in the course are divided to home groups (3-6 members) by the teaching staff.
Figure 1. Course structure (2 ECTS): Three teaching sessions, independent work, group working and e-learning.
Course is organized by Aalto University School of Science Learning Services in cooperation with University Pedagogical training network. Course teachers are Kirsti Keltikangas and Jukka Parviainen (firstname.lastname@example.org), specialists at SCI Learning services.
Small groups in autumn 2018