Learning assignment #1
If you are going to proceed the course "Teaching assistant as a learning instructor (2 ECTS)", please follow these instuctions and make the assignments! After the enrolment and the first teaching session, participants are divided to home groups (3-6 members) by the teaching staff.
The Learning assignment #1 consists of three parts:
1. Reading the book sections (Section 2 "What generates learning" pp. 9-18, and Section 3 "How do I create an environment that supports learning?", pp. 19-26), DL 28.9.2018
2. Teaching observation #1 "interaction in the classroom", DL 28.9.2018.
- Visit an exercise class where you act as an observer. If possible, visit a class of one of your group members. If not, you can visit any other teaching session. It is polite to ask the teacher / assistant that you are coming to observe the session. You can tell the instructor that you are doing this observation as a part of SCI course assistant training.
- Use the feedback form from this page. Focus on interaction in the classroom and note down at least the following: How was it created? What approaches were used? Which aspects did you find to support students' learning process? You can add reflections and insights of your own.
- Submit the form in MyCourses "Returning of Teaching observation #1" with the name of the observed peer/teacher removed. Use filename <FirstName>_<Lastname>_LA1_observations (e.g., "Jukka_Parviainen_LA1_observations.pdf")
- Optionally, give your feedback to your peer / the teacher, page #2 of the feedback form. Be specific, positive and give constructive feedback.
The reading task in Learning Assignment #1 is Sections 2 and 3 of the book "Innostu ja onnistu opetuksessa". There's also an English version available.
The reading task in Learning Assignment #1 is Sections 2 and 3 of the book "Get Inspired!". There's also a Finnish version available.
Return the feedback form individually. Please, use the form above and remove the name of the observed peer/teacher. Your returning is visible only for the course staff. Please, name your file <FirstName>_<Lastname>_LA1_observations (e.g., "Jukka_Parviainen__LA1_observations.pdf") and upload them preferably in PDF format, thank you!
Course teachers read the observations and give a small piece of feedback. You do not need to reply in MyCourses - we will discuss together in the teaching contact session.
The visibility of the discussion forum is restricted to those attending the course.
Reflect on the reading assignment and teaching observation. Write a summary as a group: What did you discuss? What did you observe; where there something similar or dissimilar? Any new insights for acting as a TA? What did you think about the book chapters in contrast to your findings and other experiences; e.g., how to support deep learning (approach), how to build and promote motivation (interest & expectation of success), how to support students' study skills, how to stimulate interaction, findings of physical, social and virtual learning environment? The summary does not have to be an exhaustive description but rather pointing out new insights as individuals or as a group.