Welcome to the courses:
To participate in a course, you must register to one of the above mentioned courses (in WebOodi) and this lecture module (self enrolment via link syllabus/kurssikuvaus in right of this site).
Lecturers: Euiju Jeon (lectures I to III), Natalia Vuori (lecture IV), Risto Rajala (lecture V)
Teaching period: I-II, III-V (Autumn and Spring)
- Students will learn how to apply research methods and scientific thinking in problem solving.
- Students will learn how to define and specify adequate research objectives and research questions in the subject area of Industrial Management.
- Students will understand the basics of gathering data and how to systematically conduct research.
- Students will be able to analyze empirical data, report the results, and evaluate the quality (reliability and validity) of empirical research.
The lecture module (about 54 hours) includes lectures, reading materials, and examination, and is held jointly with three Majors (i.e., courses TU-E1090 - Research Assignment in Strategy and Venturing, TU-E2090 - Research Assignment in Operations and Service Management, TU-E3091 - Research Assignment in Organization Design and Leadership). This lecture module forms Part 1 of the Research Assignment course. Part 2 of the course is made up of empirical research assignments, which are instructed separately for each Major. Students must register for both the empirical research assignment course (i.e., Part 2) and this lecture module (i.e., Part 1).
- Week 1: Thursday 09.01.2020 at 10-12 in TU7 (TUAS-building, Maarintie 8): Introduction, course arrangements, scientific argument with Toulmin Model
- Week 2: Thursday 16.01.2020 at 10-12 in TU7 (TUAS-building, Maarintie 8): Quantitative research
- Week 3: Thursday 23.01.2020 at 10-12 in TU7 (TUAS-building, Maarintie 8): Quantitative research
- Stata Lab Session: Friday 24.01.2020, 2 identical sessions (join one of them), first session at 10-12, and second session at 13-15, both in TU4
- Week 4: Thursday 30.01.2020 at 10-12 in TU7 (TUAS-building, Maarintie 8): Qualitative research
- Week 5: Thursday 06.02.2020 at 10-12 in TU7 (TUAS-building, Maarintie 8): Design science approach
- Week 6: Thursday 13.02.2020 : Conducting qualitative research, grounded theory approach
The exam is carried out as an open books exam which is synchronized with the lectures. During the lectures, we post an exam question related to the lecture themes (one question per week). The written answer to the question is due upon midnight before the next lecture (i.e., every Wednesday 23:55 PM) at MyCourses under "For Aalto Users" folder. The required readings for each lecture will be announced on the lecture page in "For Aalto Users".